starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The deadlift has always been my worst lift. I've always blamed it on my height, levers, diet, hangovers, or most anything I could come up with. I have a really hard time keeping my deadlift work weight in front of my squat work weight though it seems if I test my maxes it is out in front but not by much (375 squat and 390 deadlift). After struggling for quite a while I switched to sumo, that helped but... My dead is still going to hold me back on my total.
    This video is me doing 315 at the end of intensity day at the beginning of a short run of TM before an upcoming meet on August 3. I squatted 340 for 5 good reps, benched 245 for a paused rep and 3 touch and go, then I pulled 345 for 1 and that was all I could get. I dropped the weight back down to 315 so I could film a rep and hopefully get some pointers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXMf...e_gdata_player

OK, a couple of things. #1 first and foremost, read the pulling sticky at the top of the forum. It was written just for you!
    2) Read the "Welcome to the Staff Q&A Forum" sticky, specifically the links to filming form checks in #3. Your dark pants make it very difficult to see what's what. The lines on them, as an aside, don't help.
    3) You posted 1 rep. It's hard to see patterns from 1 rep. Post a set of 5.
    4) We don't grade sumo deadlifts. Or at least I don't. I don't see anything about your anthropometry that would keep you from deadlifting normally.

Send us some normal pulls using the set-up method discussed in the pulling sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    OK, a couple of things. #1 first and foremost, read the pulling sticky at the top of the forum. It was written just for you!
    2) Read the "Welcome to the Staff Q&A Forum" sticky, specifically the links to filming form checks in #3. Your dark pants make it very difficult to see what's what. The lines on them, as an aside, don't help.
    3) You posted 1 rep. It's hard to see patterns from 1 rep. Post a set of 5.
    4) We don't grade sumo deadlifts. Or at least I don't. I don't see anything about your anthropometry that would keep you from deadlifting normally.

Send us some normal pulls using the set-up method discussed in the pulling sticky.
    Looks suspiciously like an arm pull midway through that rep. I am not completely conversant with the mechanics of a sumo pull, but his bicep appeared to be taking on part of the stress there.