starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are GHRs needed if I power clean?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    That didn't take long. Lol. Sorry.

Ill look at my log later but from memory at the time I deadlifted 230kg x 11 conventional and 280kg x 1 both sumo and conventional. Think i even did both the same week. Not sure the conversions to lb.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza20 View Post
    So people that are for low volume, low frequency deadlifts. Is it actually that you can't recover or your body is just not conditioned to recover from them.

If I could only deadlift heavy once or twice a month personally I would see it that as a weakness of mine and increase my volume and frequency to attempt to get my body better at recovering from Deadlifts. Then see if it results in gains.
    One other thing to consider is the amount of other work you are doing. On Rip's programs you are only doing 1 set of 5 which doesn't look like a lot, but you are also squatting 3x per week. On a program where you squat less, I think you could easily deadlift for more volume or more days per week, but it is a balancing act.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    One other thing to consider is the amount of other work you are doing. On Rip's programs you are only doing 1 set of 5 which doesn't look like a lot, but you are also squatting 3x per week. On a program where you squat less, I think you could easily deadlift for more volume or more days per week, but it is a balancing act.
    Yes a balancing act. For the past 7 months I have been working my deadlifts the same reps and sets as the other three main lifts once a week. I recently in the past three or so months started to have to cut reps every other week or do something like power lean instead of deadlifts and good mornings ( light) on squat days) on my light deadlift weeks. This has kept theirs coming. But this is an individual tolerance thing and it would be wrong to use blanket statement for all lifters.
    Fun discussion and I testing perspectives.

starting strength coach development program
    One of the best things I did was after reading some of Broz stuff, I jumped head first into squatting everyday for a while.

First week was surprisingly easy. Broke some PRs. Then by about week three it hit me. Felt like shit and just getting massive lower back cramps every time I did anything. Normally you would stop and have a dead load but just pushed on through it. Then couple weeks later out of no where 15 kg PR. It basically showed me that your body will adapt.

Never been keen on the idea that you are struggling to recover between workouts so doing less is going to help you lift more. My thoughts are to do more as to increase your recovery abilities so you will be able to lift more.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234