starting strength gym

Thread: Hips Sore from Heavy Squats

Default Hips Sore from Heavy Squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'll preface this by saying, no, I'm not elderly. This, however, is about my Dad, who is 59.

Problem at a glance:
    My Dad's hips hurt after heavy squats, which is around 250lbs. They don't seem to do this with slightly lower weights for slightly more reps. Has anybody here had experience with this?

Background:
    My Dad got started lifting almost a year ago now, doing a linear progression similar to Starting Strength. He started at 6'2" 245lbs with a 44" waist, and is now around 230lbs with a 36" waist. His lifts have all gone up significantly, though I don't have definite numbers for what he started at.

I was home for a while when he got started and helped him with technique as well as programming. I'm not the best coach, but between my instruction and reading SS, he's a smart man and got the technique right.

I don't know his current bests, except that he just pulled a 360lb deadlift. He's somewhere around 250 on squat and 200 on bench. I'll update these numbers when I talk to him, which should be soon. While no longer exactly linear, he is still making consistent gains in each area.

So far as a technique problem goes, I'm not there to see. I've asked him about this, so far as knees out, depth, etc, but I don't have a definite answer. I'll see if I can convince him to get some video, and perhaps it will be as simple as a new cue. I'd be glad to get some input from anybody with personal experience in this matter.

Get him to post a squat video on the coach's forum.

"Hips hurt" is a little vague, but if by that you mean that spot where I imagine the hamstrings attach to the ischial tuberosity, well then my hips hurt too. I've self-diagnosed it as hamstring tendonitis, and if anyone has ideas on how to make it go away I'd love to hear about it too, I've had it for about 18 months, and clearly remember what triggered it, it was cueing myself to bounce out of the bottom of a heavy squat. I take some solace in the thought that at least it's a sign that I'm engaging the hammies and therefore must be getting deep enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    "Hips hurt" is a little vague
    I know, but it's all I've got to go on, as he doesn't tend to be very specific about it. He/doctor figures it's just arthritis, and they may well be right. May not be anything he can do about it. But I might have video tonight, and perhaps that'll give some better info.

The one thing that comes to mind is that his stance is too wide, but that's the best I can say without a video for confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bono View Post
    The one thing that comes to mind is that his stance is too wide, but that's the best I can say without a video for confirmation.
    That was the first thing that jumped into my mind too since that is a common mistake. Lots of folks take a very wide stance which will place much of the stress directly on the hip joint. This can be stopped by bringing the feet in. My own stance is only 14" between my heels and have squatted some pretty heavy weight that way with absolutely no hip problems what so ever.

But video is the only way to see if his stance is very wide.

Quick follow-up for anyone who's interested.

I did get some video, but it wasn't the greatest, and I didn't feel posting it here would help anything. However, I unexpectedly had the chance to visit, so I got to lift with him a few times and help him out in person.

While I'm not sure of the underlying cause of the pain, there were a few things wrong (too high, too forward, etc.) that I was able to help him fix.

He's still got various aches and pains, and his own workarounds for each, but nothing too terrible. Thanks for the replies.

I had hip pain/ache on and off for a few years. For me this went away after I started foam rolling my IT bands.

starting strength coach development program
    Have him do this everyday before squatting

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc&safe=active

I had hip flexor pain pretty bad on both sides when I reached 275-290 x 3x5 on SS. Getting form down is key then squatting more often is better than less often.