starting strength gym

Thread: Hill sprints

Default Hill sprints

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Does anybody here do them? If you do, how do you program them? I have only small hills around my house, but some are fairly steep for a run so they seem to do well. The one I'm currently running is 60 steps or 40 jog paces long, and though I was going all out, a more knowledgeable friend of mine suggested I start with 5 per week and add 1 per week to focus on the very highest intensity. Last time I'd done them I could do 9 with no rest between each, but the very last few ones did feel a hell of a lot slower than my first.

I do hill sprints once per week. They interfere badly with strength work, but I do them anyway because they are fun.

My hill is about 100 yards long and only rises 30 or 40 feet, not steep. I run it once at a jog, once at a slow run, once at a little under max speed, and sometimes once more with a fast-ish pace still in control. Rest is just the walk back down. Warmup and cooldown are the 1 mile walk from home to the hill.

My recovery sucks since I'm 47, weak, and on a cut. I can do this tiny bit of running and be ready to squat 2 days later.

I go by time -- run up for 20 s, then walk back + rest at the bottom for 1:40 sec. Sprints were discussed in the Nutrition forum at length. I believe Jordan says you don't need to go more than 12 intervals total in a session.

Just pick a standard and stick to it. If you're sprinting up and walking down, then resting 30 seconds, keep it exactly that and go for sets. Or you could reduce the rest time. It doesn't really matter, just get 'er done and give it your all - cardio endurance seems to increase excessively quickly. I use a prowler, but hill sprints are about as intense anaerobically as you can get without the sled.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    I do hill sprints once per week. They interfere badly with strength work, but I do them anyway because they are fun.
    Single Leg Quarter Squats

Hill sprints, bike sprints and sprinting up bleachers is basically a quarter one leg squat.

As with squats, if you push them hard, they can drain you a bit for the next days workout.

[QUOTE=cwd;709214]My hill is about 100 yards long and only rises 30 or 40 feet, not steep. I run it once at a jog, once at a slow run, once at a little under max speed, and sometimes once more with a fast-ish pace still in control.

Intensity

One of the biggest components of strength/hypertrophy training is intensity.

Intensity stimulates strength and muscle growth.

To some extent, Niche was right, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"...providing you allow for recovery.

100 Yard Runs/Jogs

There is some benefit to perform 100 yard Hill Runs.

However, a more effective method would be shorter sprints.

Timed

kessg post on timed Hill Sprints is a more effective method.

Time Under Tension

Another training variable the determines if you are training for strength, hypertrophy or endurance is the amount of time the muscle are placed under stress/tension.

20 Second Sprints

20 Second Sprints fall more into the hypertrophy category of training.

A 20 second sprint will definitely give you a "Leg Pump". "The Pump" has been shown to create an anabolic hypertrophic environment for muscle growth.

10 Second or Less Sprints

For strength and power, keeping your sprint time to 10 seconds or less is more effective.

That because of...

ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate)

ATP is you source of energy for "Sprint Type Training".

Your ATP "gas" store is good for approximately 30 second.

However, the majority of your ATP "gas" is burned up in 6 -10 seconds.

That is why you see a decrease in force production (strength, power, speed) after 6 -10 seconds.

You can feel and see the decrease.

Another way of thinking of it is in regard to...

Maximum Strength and Power Training

Sprints of any kind are like training for maximum strength and/or power training.

Repetitions for maximum strength and power are limited to 5 reps or less. Less than 5 repetition producing the greatest amount of force (strength and/or power).

Thus, the amount of time for a strength and/or power set is between 6 - 10 seconds.

100% Recovery Between Sets

Full ATP muscle recovery to the muscles takes 3 minutes plus.

That means to maximize force production, you need rest at least 3 minutes between sets/sprints.

50% Recovery

However, approximately 50% of your ATP is restored to the muscles in 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    My recovery sucks since I'm 47, weak, and on a cut. I can do this tiny bit of running and be ready to squat 2 days later.
    Cutting

Any time your caloric intake decreases, you are going to have a decrease in your recovery.

There is also a decrease in testosterone with a caloric deficit diet.

Hill Sprints = Squats

Again, Hill Sprint are basically a Quarter Squat.

Two Day Recovery

You wouldn't squat on Monday and then squat again on Tuesday.

You'd take one to two days off and then squat again on Wednesday or Thursday.

Thus, you two day recovery from Hill Runs/Jogs is no different.

Kenny Croxdale

Thank you for your reply. So to summarize:

Keep sprints 6-10 seconds long
    Rest 30 seconds if possible
    Rest a minimum of one day between each sprinting session

Quote Originally Posted by Shion View Post
    Thank you for your reply. So to summarize:

Keep sprints 6-10 seconds long
    Rest 30 seconds if possible
    Rest a minimum of one day between each sprinting session
    Yes.

Kenny Croxdale

starting strength coach development program
    optimum # of 6 second intervals / workout and 3 workouts / weekintervals if being used as an assistance to add power and explosiveness in a 3 day a week strength training program?