starting strength gym
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Linear progression isn't for me. What else?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The bar usually touches between nipple line and xyphoid proccess. Haven't had much luck getting it higher. But am willing to try harder.

Also, great video! Heh.
    Last edited by BigB; 07-23-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by BigB View Post
    I took a ton of form videos last night, THEN read the instructions.

Here's my bench video in any case:
    Front: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIkpyXa15kc
    Side: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww-o50QZZFw

The cellphone cam clipped me setting up my arch. I just have poor thoraic extension.

i'll bust out the old 5d and tripod and get better ones posted in that forum in the next week or so.

Definitely a form issue. This is not a challenging weight for you, and I already see significant form problems.

(1) You aren't arching your back hard or pulling your shoulders back. This creates a lack of tightness in your upper body, which doesn't give you a solid foundation to bench. You should be in lockdown mode when you're doing a bench rep.

(2) Relatedly, you aren't breathing at the top, holding it, and completing the rep--again, losing a solid foundation. I know this because I watched your video at maximum volume...it hurt my ears when the bar racked, but I didn't hear any breathing.

(3) On the side view, you're starting the bar ahead of your shoulder, which creates an unnecessary moment arm. That moment arm grows to damn near a foot when you touch the bar to your chest...well, upper abdomen I guess. When you're holding the bar at lockout, it should be over your shoulders, arms perfectly vertical. When the bar is at your chest, it should be roughly at the nipples.

(4) On the front view, take a look at your forearms when the bar is on your chest. They are not vertical as they should be. This means either your grip is too wide or your elbows are too tucked. Given the side view, I'm inclined to say the latter.

(5) Your feet are not planted firmly on the ground with shins vertical--which means you aren't able to push through your feet as much as you can. Again, a loss of stability on the bench, and a loss of power in driving the bar up.

Next time you bench, have someone be there with you. When you unrack the bar, have them poke your sternum right between the bases of your nipples a couple times. Hopefully that will subconsciously get you to touch the bar where it needs to be. The rest of the stuff involves thinking hard about maintaining as much tightness as possible, really extending your upper back and arching your lower, and being sure to breathe properly.

Quote Originally Posted by BigB View Post
    I took a ton of form videos last night, THEN read the instructions.

Here's my bench video in any case:
    Front: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIkpyXa15kc
    Side: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww-o50QZZFw

The cellphone cam clipped me setting up my arch. I just have poor thoraic extension.

i'll bust out the old 5d and tripod and get better ones posted in that forum in the next week or so.
    The video quality is fine.
    From the side vid i'd say the following. You're lining up too high on the bench. Rip's description says your eyes should be on the foot side of the bar when you look straight up.

More importantly (though related) is what @gtl said: that in the locked position the bar is a few inches too far toward your feet. It's supposed to be much closer to vertical above your shoulder so that there's no moment arm torquing your arms.

From the front view: your forearms are supposed to be vertical in the bottom. So either your grip is too wide or, like gtl also mentioned, you're tucking your elbows too much (or some of each).

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    His critique would be more compelling if he didn't run out of breath just loading one plate on his bar.

starting strength coach development program
    Benching too 'low' makes sense... with the "way" the bar feels heavy when I'm nearing failure. --Almost like I'm going to drop it toward my thighs if I lose tension.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567