starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linear progression isn't for me. What else?

Default Linear progression isn't for me. What else?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been trying linear progression for exactly 2 years now.
    I've gained 30 pounds trying to eat through strength plateaus.
    I'm about as strong as I was 3 months into the program, and now I'm 50lbs overweight.
    I keep getting to the same points and stalling over, and over, and over.

Let's use bench as an example.
    I'll push 135, it's a struggle, but it's done.
    Next bench, I'll try 140. 1x5, 1x4, failure, failure.
    Next bench. I'll try again. I MIGHT get the second set in. Failure.
    I'll take 10% off the bar for the next sessions. 125... then 130... then I'll start failing 135. I'll redo 135 again, and fail again.
    Then I'll take 10% off 135, down to 120. Finally I'll be able to do 135 again, but guaranteed I won't get past 140. Though, once, I did make it to 145. Almost tore my shoulder out trying 150. Fortunately I bench in a power rack and it wasn't too bad.

This is the same for squats. I go to 250 once, but now I can't get past 225.
    Overhead press, 110.
    Deadlift, about 265.

I've tried microloading - 2.5lbs to the bar.
    I've tried adding more sets at lower weights.
    I've tried FULL deload down to the naked barbell to start over.
    I've tried adding dips and inverted rows.
    In desperation, I even tried wendler 5/3/1.... I couldn't even get 140 for 5 on week 3.

My testosterone is on the low side of average. I'm 33 years old. Other than being fat, I'm healthy as a horse. I get about 1g/lb of bodyweight in protein. 90% of it from delicious, delicious meat.

Which linear progression program are you following?
    Post a url as to where you have logged your workouts.

Starting Strength.

I don't log my workouts online. I used to use a notepad, but then I started just using a whiteboard (once I built my own gym)

Start Starting Strength over. Start with an empty bar, 135 for deadlifts. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Log your workouts here in one of the logging forums. Makes it a lot easier to get help.

Testosterone & coaching. Done.

1. Form videos. See coaches forum.
    Assuming all is well there:
    2. Do you perform better on Monday or on Friday?
    3. DO you get enough sleep?
    4. Try Callador's 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalsql View Post
    Start Starting Strength over. Start with an empty bar, 135 for deadlifts.
    Yeah, he's really sprinting along with all the progress he's made over 2 years. He really needs to take it slower.

How tall are you ? and how much do you weigh ?

I understand that it's just an illustration but what you have there with bench press is not THAT compelling. If you really did do:
    I'll push 135, it's a struggle, but it's done.
    Next bench, I'll try 140. 1x5, 1x4, failure, failure.
    Next bench. I'll try again. I MIGHT get the second set in. Failure.
    I'll take 10% off the bar for the next sessions. 125... then 130... then I'll start failing 135. I'll redo 135 again, and fail again.
    Then
    a) you only failed twice. Even officially you're supposed to do it 3 times before a reset.
    b) if that really was with 5 lbs, then if you had been microloading with 2.5lbs (or better yet 2 lbs) then you may very well may have made it, especially if you took it out to 3 workouts.

You're letting your body off the hook. You're not forcing it to adapt.

Moving away from the official SS line:
    On press, i don't even reset anymore... i'll go 5 or 6 workouts before i can get the weight (w/ 2 lbs/3lbs increments... i should probably go down to 1.5/1.5/2, but i've been lazy in getting weights). What i think i'm going to try on my next run (i'm currently losing some weight) is to finish the 15 reps even if i have to add 1 or 2 sets to do it. That's the opposite of leaving one in the tank, but we'll see if it works)

Also, what exercise do you do other than lifting ?

My experience is similar to yours, OP, but I am a woman so I'm not about to take testosterone.

starting strength coach development program
    I agree with the idea that you start Starting Strength again. If you can get a Starting Strength coach for the first few workouts to determine starting weights that will be helpful. If not it is ok too. Since your progress has not been stellar so far, starting again will not be a big set back. It will only take a month to get back to where you are.

To get benefit from restarting, start a log on this forum. Post your thoughts on each workout and the exercises. Post a lot of videos. Maybe all work sets of all workouts. Being involved more the with the community here and getting feedback will help and will make it more fun.

If you end up stuck again, the folks here who have been following along will help you figure out what to do next.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast