starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Qs, Hoping for the As

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    those are not weightlifting shoes... get the .5" do-wins from Rogue Fitness. Or if those are out if stock and you just can't wait, pick up a pair of the Adidas powerlift Trainers

And that belt sucks... I made the mistake of getting one of those from Amazon early on as well. Get a belt from Best Belts and you will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD-DUKE View Post
    Nope, Fat Loss seems easy... Muscle gain does not seem easy. IMO Muscle > Fat Loss.
    Then 1400 calories and 100g of protein is way too little. If you haven't already, you'll lose a substantial amount of muscle with that diet.

Currently what I decided on:
    Squat Shoes
    and
    Belt
    If you're going to spend $120 on shoes, you can get some good weighlifting shoes with a solid raised heel.

Get a different belt, too. By definition, a belt that is wider in back is not properly made. It should be the same width all around, like this: http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Power-...551085&sr=8-10, or a Best Belt, as discussed here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=27295&page=1

Im not sure how to stop muscle loss completely, even if I ate more wouldn't I just be slowing the process down? How do I gain muscle while losing weight? :-P

Thanks both of you.
    I carted that belt PEBCAK recommended.
    .60 adidas lifter? However I thought I didn't want heels for squats? Im new so I'll go with this.. Still gonna be about a week or two because I can get these items.

Thanks again !!

That is the Adidas I was referring to but these are, IMO, a better quality shoe and a better weightlifting shoe:
    http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-we...s-1-2-heel.php

And they're in stock right now so you're lucky...

I own both btw

Nope, Fat Loss seems easy... Muscle gain does not seem easy. IMO Muscle > Fat Loss. Im sure I could come up with a compromise between the two. Or what i'm aiming for is to reap the benefits of a novice and finish fat loss later if not combined.
    board's bad influence: +1
    veryhrm: +0

But i certainly 2nd posting in Jordan's forum. He's actually one of the few strong and lean individuals around here!

Hold off on buying a leather belt. One thing to note is that belts have a relatively limited adjustment range ( maybe +/-3"). At what i assume is your size, if you buy a belt that fits you now it'll probably be too big by the time you actually need it. (assuming you continue losing weight).

(oh. and BMI is just weight / height / height. The omeron is just telling you that because you're telling it how tall you are and how much you weigh :-)
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/...MI/bmicalc.htm BMI is a rough metric at best. Especially once you get back to lifting you're better off ignoring it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Ghost View Post
    This is just to satisfy my curiosity, but what's your bf% like? More specifically have you previously been high bf (say... >30%) for some time and then achieved and maintained low bf (say <20%) for some time?

I keep hearing about how easy it is to lose fat... yet i've encountered rather few such people on this board.

Im not sure how to stop muscle loss completely, even if I ate more wouldn't I just be slowing the process down? How do I gain muscle while losing weight?
    Primarily by lifting. You'll often hear people say you absolutely can't gain muscle while you're in a caloric deficit. This is just false, and bad science. You can't gain weight while you're in a caloric deficit, but you can gain muscle. It's not ideal, but it is possible. Especially if you're overweight.

However I thought I didn't want heels for squats?
    Rip explains this much better than I can, and it's in SSBBT and possibly PPST. However, even if you choose a shoe without a raised heel, it's still worth it in order to get the noncompressible heel. Louis Simmons likes Chuck Taylors, and those things are tough.

Personally, I have VS Athletics shoes, which have quite a bit of a heel. Too much, actually, for most shorter people. I wear them for everything except deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    This is just to satisfy my curiosity, but what's your bf% like? More specifically have you previously been high bf (say... >30%) for some time and then achieved and maintained low bf (say <20%) for some time?

I keep hearing about how easy it is to lose fat... yet i've encountered rather few such people on this board.
    Well, I've never been >30%, but I did get up to 25% at one point. In 2012, I went from 25% in March to a bit under 15% in May, as measured by DEXA. According to a bodpod, I was 16% as of last month.

I've been as low as ~8%, but eating to maintain that wasn't very condusive for training, so I didn't stay there. But, while keeping in mind that I'm young and male, it wasn't really that hard to get there. Just keep your calories low and add in a bunch of cardio. I did keto, but that's more out of simplicity than something magical about keto.

Quote Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
    Well, I've never been >30%, but I did get up to 25% at one point. In 2012, I went from 25% in March to a bit under 15% in May, as measured by DEXA. According to a bodpod, I was 16% as of last month.
    25% to < 15% in 2 months ?! That's not too shabby. Let's see. assuming an LBM of 140 (no idea how tall you are or what you weigh) that would be 186 -> 164. ~2.75lbs/week. at LBM 160... that would be 213-> 188 or ~3.1lbs/week. Pretty nice. Were you in the fat state for any length of time?

---
    @Milo... curiosity got the better of me and i went snooping in the archives. I hope you take the following observations in the humorous spirit in which they are offered:

You at one point said: " 193 pounds (up from 165 when I started) at 5’11, BF has gone from 11-12% to 16-17%... Also, had my fat measured again today - it's crept up to ~19%. "

Several months later (and actually just several weeks ago) you said, in praise of Jordan's advice:
    "I'm back to hitting PRs on my lifts (nothing impressive, trust me) after a hiatus, but this time I'm about 10 pounds lighter and much less sloppy-looking than I was during my first run on SS. "

Given your expectations of your own weight and body composition, are you SURE you want to confidently tell a guy the same height as you but who weighs 278lbs (down from a lot more) that he should increase his calories ?

25% to < 15% in 2 months ?! That's not too shabby. Let's see. assuming an LBM of 140 (no idea how tall you are or what you weigh) that would be 186 -> 164. ~2.75lbs/week. at LBM 160... that would be 213-> 188 or ~3.1lbs/week. Pretty nice. Were you in the fat state for any length of time?
    6'5," and I was around 240 at the start of that. According to the DEXA, I lost 11kg of fat and gained 1.5kg of lbm. I was over 20% for a while, moving to 25% over a few months.

starting strength coach development program
    Given your expectations of your own weight and body composition, are you SURE you want to confidently tell a guy the same height as you but who weighs 278lbs (down from a lot more) that he should increase his calories ?
    And I realize this wasn't directed at me, but I'll address it anyway. I wouldn't recommend a huge increase in calories, nothing around an overall surplus, because I think at this point he could do with losing more weight. But I would recommend bumping them up to the neighborhood of 2000. Obviously, this depends highly on the individual, but in general, I think 1400 is far too low for someone, especially male, who will be weight training.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast