starting strength gym

Thread: Chalk and asthmatics

Default Chalk and asthmatics

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi there. I am 5 weeks into a strength training program and recently have started to use chalk on some of the pulls. I am an asthmatic (mild), is the chalk dust bad for the lungs/ or for asthmatics? Has there been any studies on this?

I have had a mild chest infection of late and I am not sure if some weezing is due to my infection or the chalk??

I started using the chalk as I hear that its use is superior over gloves due to better feel of the bar and more importantly, it is improves grip strength more.

Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Don't make big clouds of chalk dust and you should probably be fine. At least, that's my personal experience, but everybody's lungs are different. I don't know of any studies, though. If you see any change to your breathing in general and whatever, you should talk to your doctor, as breathing is very important.

Are you at a home gym or a commercial gym, by the way? If a home gym, make sure to vacuum frequently if you're worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny347 View Post
    Excellent suggestion- thanks heaps!!

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    Are you at a home gym or a commercial gym, by the way? If a home gym, make sure to vacuum frequently if you're worried.
    Home gym, in my shed. Working out on dense rubber mats. I will get in the habit of vacuuming more often.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    Don't make big clouds of chalk dust and you should probably be fine. At least, that's my personal experience, but everybody's lungs are different. I don't know of any studies, though. If you see any change to your breathing in general and whatever, you should talk to your doctor, as breathing is very important.
    Yeah I don't do the theatrical chalk clouding. I pretty much rub it on sparingly. I will continue to monitor the situation. Thanks

starting strength coach development program
    i buy the blocks of chalk and dont break them up. just rub them on my hands and then rub them together. iget plenty, am not even through one block of chalk yet and its been a year since i bought them