starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ATG Squatting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    Atg Is like doing pistols. I can do them but they are completely useless in getting stronger at this point. Low bar with hamstring tension keeps my high mileage knees happy.
    Lol, I understand if you think they keep your knees happy. But to say they are useless in getting stronger, no matter what point you are at, is rather extreme and smacks of homerism. How else do you think weightlifters have gotten to their levels of strength by? Through ATG high bar and front squatting, snatching, cleaning and jerking.

Last edited by yellowmamba; 07-23-2013 at 10:31 AM.

as you stated the front squat covers this for weight lifters as the back angle is more upright. Plus that Chinese guy will sacrifice his knees to keep him and his family out of the coal mines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    I disagree. I think the main contributor is the width of doorways. If standard doorways were 14" wide, there wouldn't be so many fat people.
    14" is a good 4 -5" narrower than my shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowmamba View Post
    Lol, I understand if you think they keep your knees happy. But to say they are useless in getting stronger, no matter what point you are at, is rather extreme and smacks of homerism. How else do you think weightlifters have gotten to their levels of strength by? Through ATG high bar and front squatting, snatching, cleaning and jerking.
    Also a fuckton of steriods and just squatting as deep as they can whilst maintaining tightness. "ATG" is silly. Squat as deep a you need to. Most of the footage I've seen of Chinese lifters they squat 1 - 2" above rock bottom, to maintain tightness. Because they don't care about what the internet thinks about their squat depth.

I posit that the modern day toilets are responsible for the record high obesity levels in current society. If we all still had to shit in a hole, we would have to perform a full body-weight squat to do so. Being ridiculously fat means there is no way you could squat down and hence shit, which is an excellent incentive to lose weight. Unintended consequences.
    But to properly shit into a hole one should put knees together. Otherwise there is a risk your feet aren't wide enough to keep the bottom of your pant legs out of the splash zone or that there's not enough control over the trajectory of the associated fluids and solids which should go down, not forward. And then there's the risk of getting trapped in the position under conditions of constipation. You have to be capable of a long pause in that squat under such conditions. So it's not really the same kind of squat at all.

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    14" is a good 4 -5" narrower than my shoulders.
    I know, dude. Under the new narrow-doorway regime, swolebrahs like yourself will have to walk into and out of buildings and rooms sideways. These issues have been given their due consideration, however it has been determined that solving the obesity (disease!) epidemic is more important than your ability to walk into rooms head-on.

I know, dude. Under the new narrow-doorway regime, swolebrahs like yourself will have to walk into and out of buildings and rooms sideways. These issues have been given their due consideration, however it has been determined that solving the obesity (disease!) epidemic is more important than your ability to walk into rooms head-on.
    Obese is the new skinny!

"I am big boned." Eric Cartman.

:-)

psssss . . . . . You call that ass to ground?

Hmm...Maybe you need to try some stretching more specific to the bottom position.
    Well, I have no need for ATG squats, but the argument is fair enough. Flexibility is fairly specific.

Being ridiculously fat means there is no way you could squat down
    People would find a way.

I disagree. I think the main contributor is the width of doorways. If standard doorways were 14" wide, there wouldn't be so many fat people.
    But then we'd all have to turn sideways, and I'm way too lazy for that.

I do "ATG". I got my squat up to 300 on SS, but my right knee was in a state of chronic pain. I had my daughter record me on her kindle and I was hitting parallel. My knee was so bad, I almost ditched squatting, but then I had an epiphany: reset your 5 rep squats to 155 pounds and go as far down as you can go, each time, every time. Something weird happened: my right knee hurt like a motherfucker, but it felt as if all of the connective tissue was "shifting" and I could tell shifting to a more natural position. I stuck it out and after 3 weeks, my knee pain was 90% gone. After another 2 weeks the pain gone and never came back. So fucken weird. Even ow when I walk up a step, I grimace out of habit and then am relieved when I don't get a pain. I go narrow stance, "hybrid bar position" between high and low, as evidenced by the callus on my back and every single rep i reach for the floor. Sorry, I watched vodeo after video, read SS 3 times, every page and tried to force a correct squat. At the end of the day, I had to find my sweet spot. I've since worked my way back to 300 pounds, but the number is deceiving because I was fucking around 3 weeks ago and did a power lifting stance and pushed 340 faurly easily, granted I had to take 3 days off because my fucken hammies were sore as hell, but at the end of the day, I did it. However, I went back to the deep, narrow mid bar squats because my body likes them and I'm lifting to be healthy, get strong and look good, not to brag about lifting weights that my body can not handle. To each his / her own! i will still hit 2X BW squat, but it will be a slower process and in the interim, I am doing the TX method and am doing glute ham raises to make sure my hammies are developed at the same pace as the rest pf my physique.
    Last edited by OZ-USF-UFGator; 07-23-2013 at 09:02 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Maybe you should use a camera more often.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast