starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for Rip - Overtraining?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
    Are you trolling? Have you read the book?

You are apparently not a big fan of Rip's advice.
    Actually I just went and checked. He said a fine substitute is Barbell Rows. You apparently haven't read it.

Does anyone have a link to the advanced novice routine that Rip approves. Not some SS workout that JoeBlow made.

Quote Originally Posted by lifer View Post
    Actually I just went and checked. He said a fine substitute is Barbell Rows.
    Actually he never has. People misinterpreted what he wrote in Starting Strength 2nd ed. and he made it more clear in the 3rd ed., I believe. Barbell rows are only to be substituted if the trainee cannot do the power cleans. You wrote you are not doing them. You did not write that you can't do them. Do the cleans.

Does anyone have a link to the advanced novice routine that Rip approves. Not some SS workout that JoeBlow made.
    The advanced novice routine is in Practical Programming for Strength Training, 2nd ed. Failing that scroll down to Phase 4 on http://blackironbeast.com/starting-strength

Quote Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
    Actually he never has. People misinterpreted what he wrote in Starting Strength 2nd ed. and he made it more clear in the 3rd ed., I believe. Barbell rows are only to be substituted if the trainee cannot do the power cleans. You wrote you are not doing them. You did not write that you can't do them. Do the cleans.

The advanced novice routine is in Practical Programming for Strength Training, 2nd ed. Failing that scroll down to Phase 4 on http://blackironbeast.com/starting-strength
    //
    Last edited by kc101; 07-24-2013 at 07:48 PM.

I can bench more than I squat. I started doing bench before I ever did squat (I was one of those upper body only guys.) So I'm thinking I'll stick to Madcow for upper body only therefore the cleans are a mute point. Since you suggest my low back isn't overtrained i'll do SS squats which are a higher intensity than working up to a top set. So I was thinking on Monday i'll go 3x5 squats, Wednesday light squats 2x5 at 80%, and Friday 3x5 squats with 1x5 deadlift also on Wednesday.
    Last edited by kc101; 07-24-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Why are you posting under two names?

Listen to Jordan. Go.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Ghost View Post
    Why are you posting under two names?

Listen to Jordan. Go.
    Cause the question was originally intended for Rip and I wanted multiple opinions. Jordan and I are getting it hashed out, I'm trying to get the correct adv ss novice program. Plus I can post on this forum immediately and don't have to wait for my response to be approved on the other forum.

Cause the question was originally intended for Rip and I wanted multiple opinions. Jordan and I are getting it hashed out, I'm trying to get the correct adv ss novice program. Plus I can post on this forum immediately and don't have to wait for my response to be approved on the other forum.
    That's not a reason to post under two names. You can post to any subforum with the same name. It's magical. You want to know what Rip actually says about rows?

My opinion about barbell rows is as follows: f***barbell rows. Really. F*** them. Stop wasting time worrying about barbell rows and get your deadlift up to 500. By then you'll have your own opinion and you won't have to worry about mine.

How do I know what weight to start out on squat for 3x5 sets across?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by kc101 View Post
    How do I know what weight to start out on squat for 3x5 sets across?
    You could do the first day protocol as described in the book or some common sense based on what you can already squat...

You start with 185. Add 5 pounds on Monday and Friday. On Wednesday do 80% of Monday's weight.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast