starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much can bar diameter affect difficulty?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My gym has the cheapest, shittiest possible 32mm bars with sleeves that don't spin and knurling that makes the bars seem 50 years old. They are fucking shit. I have been to other gyms with nice 28mm bars. The absolute biggest difference is with PCs and DLs obviously, and as Kyle said, if you can squeeze a bar harder you can lift it harder as well. I goddamn hate my gym's bars.

I tried to really focus on stretching my hand around the bar and gripping the bar really tightly today and my presses felt really light. So that might've been my problem. Thanks to all who suggested that!

I feel you op, I have small hands as well and dislike the thicker bars, I prefer the small bars. Squats seem to make no difference for me but whenever it's gripped, I lift more with a thinner bar.

starting strength coach development program
    I think it would be like this for most people:

Squat- really uneffected by a thicker bar. A lot of feds use mastadon or other 8' squat bars that are 32mm+. No one really complains about it.

Bench/Press- This could be an issue, but most likely there wouldn't be much of a difference based off diameter. A whippy bar could help for bouncing tng's.

DL- This is where a thinner bar would help the most. If you have smaller hands, this is a lifesaver. Also whippy bars can help here too, especially if you are weak off the floor. I am weak at lockout, so there is no difference between a standard power bar and a 7.5' DL bar for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12