starting strength gym

Thread: Hip replacement and the Squat (or possible alternative)

Default Hip replacement and the Squat (or possible alternative)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello fellow grizzled veterans. New to the forums, but I have been "on" to Rip and Starting Strength for years.
    I am sure there are threads addressing this issue (and yes I will go and search threads), but I was hoping perhaps to get some up to date opinions on the above topic.
    I'm 51, three weeks past hip replacement. I have a general osteoarthritis condition in my lumbar spine and my left hip. I was a consistent lifter from my teens to my mid 40's before I was overtaken by increasing pain and reduced flexibility. Squatting fell by the wayside at about 47 (at 43 my best was 455 for 3 @ 205), over time I replaced any serious lower body work with DL, then DL with a trap bar. I know these are a poor replacement for squats, but I was doing what I could.
    So, (sorry about the long intro), have any of y'all been able to get back to moving heavy iron post hip replacement surgery? What was the time frame? My surgeon is skittish when I bring up the subject of heavy weight training--product of our litigious society I suppose.

I don't know if there's some relevant information in previous threads that might be of some assistance to you.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=30954&page=1

http://startingstrength.com/resource...?t=8298&page=1

ETA: http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=14257&page=1 which discusses hip recovery after avascular necrosis & replacement.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=14255&page=1
    Last edited by Gina; 08-16-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Gina, thank you. I expect this information is helpful to a number of people. Nice work.

Alamo, good luck on your quest. If you get a chance post a log.

Can't really address squatting so much, but I can talk a bit about dead lifting after hip replacement. I had my right hip replaced on Nov. 1st last year. I started back with DL's in early April, starting out with 145lbs. for sets of 5. I would lift once per week and take a week off about every 3-4 weeks. Week before last I worked up to 280 for 6 reps. This Saturday I'm going up the local YWCA and see what I can do for a max single. I'm going there to lift just in case I blow the implants out there'll be somebody on hand to call an ambulance for me. Normally I train in my basement; I haven't lifted in a public gym in several years so this could be interesting.

Tex, good luck.

starting strength coach development program
    Managed to get in to the local YWCA on Saturday morning about 9:30 before all the "muscle bro's" showed up. Warm ups felt good and I pulled an easy 350. I felt like I could have gone 10-15 lbs more but the 350 was my target going in so I left it at that. I think one thing that made the weight feel a little lighter is the fact that the bar I use at home is modeled on the Texas Power Bars from some years back and is thicker and more rigid than most bars you'll find in public gyms. It's great for squats and presses because it's not "whippy" but isn't ideal for DL. When I do go to a public gym and pull the bars feel better and therefor the lifts seem to go better. I need to factor that in the next time.