starting strength gym

Thread: Horrible Rack on Power Cleans (Video Inside)

Question Horrible Rack on Power Cleans (Video Inside)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been doing power cleans for the past few weeks after doing a couple sessions with Michael Wolf and I'm having a super hard time racking my cleans. I can't seem to rotate my arms quick enough, which is causing the bar to rack on my hands. When I try to rotate my elbows up as fast as I can, my hand tends to slip off one side of the bar completely, causing the bar and weight to slam into my shoulder and bounce.
    Another side effect of the terrible rack is that I am leaning back when I catch the bar, which is giving me a little bit of back pain after cleaning.

As for the jumping forward, I'm trying to fix that by jumping backward to counteract it.

The video has a few sets on it spliced together, with the resetting and other bullshit taken out. I know you guys don't want a million videos, so I figured this way it would be easier to fast-forward and check a different angle if needed.

Video:
    Link to video: power cleans

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, breathe deeply. There are a number of things that you need to fix here, so I am going to start with about two or three of them.

Firstly, fix your pull off the floor. Straighten out your knees more and keep the bar on your shins. Right now, you are trying to keep your knees bent as you pull the bar up to your knees. This results in the bar swinging away from you. This is one of the things that gets you jumping forward. Check this out:

Not that Ms. Carlson Woods's legs are quite straight and she has preserved her back angle, staying well over the bar. Her knees will rebend to facilitate the jump, just not yet. Also note that her feet are still flat on the ground at this point.

Secondly, keep your arms straight as you jump, all the way to the top of the jump. You are pulling early. Check this out:

Note how straight Ms. Uhlaender's arms are at the top of the jump. She isn't pulling on the bar. Her arms are simply communicating the force from the jump to the bar. She is letting her legs and hips do the work. So should you. Do the drill where you jump with straight arms without racking it. Make that same thing happen when you actually clean.

Frame through your videos and note the difference in your positioning from those in the photos. Try and emulate what those women are doing.

Your rack is indeed fucked up. I suspect your long forearms coupled with poor flexibility are not doing you any favors. We'll work on that more later. What I can tell you is that you need to think of choking yourself with the bar. You are catching the thing on your sternum. You must, instead, catch it on your deltoids, close to your throat.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 09-27-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Wolf may also have some input here since he has gotten to see you in person.

Someone should correct me if I am wrong, but I believe both the women in the pictures above have 100 kilos on the bar. That's pretty cool.

Damn, I was not expecting all that. It looks like I have some work in front of me. I'm cleaning on Wednesday, so I'll make sure I have enough time to put the work in.
    I really appreciate the help… other than the pictures of the women that weigh 100lb+ less than me and are stronger than me!

Sent from my iPhone

Not to worry. Fixing your pull off the floor and keeping your arms straight will help with racking. Once you are not longer trying to row the bar up, the rack happens faster. As for your long forearms, well, blame your parents.

Quote Originally Posted by notetcetera View Post
    Damn, I was not expecting all that. It looks like I have some work in front of me. I'm cleaning on Wednesday, so I'll make sure I have enough time to put the work in.
    I really appreciate the help… other than the pictures of the women that weigh 100lb+ less than me and are stronger than me!

Sent from my iPhone
    Sounds like you need more Lemon Pledge.

(Sorry, that was precisely no help)

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you for this. However, I see your video and raise you this: