starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OK, Who has Given up caffeine? UGH!

Default OK, Who has Given up caffeine? UGH!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Its been 12 days and my strength is down ~5 - 10 % across the board and it doesn't seem to be bouncing back. I did SS for ~8 months and now am 6 weeks into T method. I am a real caffeine addict and don't drink coffee, so the 40 - 60 oz of soda / energy drinks a day had to go.

Will my strength level bounce back, or is caffeine tantamount to a PED. This just sucks.
    Any experience here?

My experience is that a moderate (less than the amount in an energy drink) amount of caffeine directly before lifting is a performance enhancing drug on the same level as creatine.

Why did you stop? Is pre-training caffeine out of the question for you now?

I take caffeine (200 mg pill) before I work out, and I notice a difference when I don't. Other than that though, I don't intake much caffeine, as I don't drink soda or coffee. Especially if you're used to it, I would keep it pre-workout, and ease off it the rest of the time.

Try Sweet Marias, and learn to like good coffee.

http://www.sweetmarias.com

how can you not drink coffee? Coffee is great. Now that you've got me thinking about it Im going to have an espresso - 250mg of pure caffeine in a thick black syrup of deliciousness

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    how can you not drink coffee? Coffee is great.
    I don't drink coffee because I don't like coffee. I figure it's better than the people who get a drink that's 40% chocolate, 40% caramel, 15% whipped cream, and 5% coffee, then claim they like coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
    I don't drink coffee because I don't like coffee. I figure it's better than the people who get a drink that's 40% chocolate, 40% caramel, 15% whipped cream, and 5% coffee, then claim they like coffee.
    That's true. I generally balk at any drink more milk than coffee, which is almost everyone's preference.

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    That's true. I generally balk at any drink more milk than coffee, which is almost everyone's preference.
    America's coffee culture is uhh..not good (from an Australian perspective).

I don't actually mind pot-coffee (which is non-existent is Australia), but the things you do to espresso coffee is criminal. Double caramel whipped cream cappuccinos, with damm near half a litre of milk, or foaming the milk to the point where it's actual foam.

My preference is for a small (8 ounce) double-shot cappuccinos.

Thank god starbuck went bankrupt here is all i'll say.

Every few years I go caffeine-free for a while, to destroy my tolerance. I.e. I'll go from 10 cups per day to 0 for a month. It takes three weeks to entirely get over the chronic tiredness.

Then I can go back to coffee, and get a nice zing in the morning from just one cup again.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    You do know a cappuccino is 1/3 foam, right? Seems odd that someone on SS is complaining about having to drink milk, and someone who drinks a drink that is mostly milk and foam complaining about exactly that, but whatever.

I try not to drink caffine on weekends, but I usually have two cups of coffee in the morning. My preference is french press, but I recently bought a pour over that I really enjoy, especially the clean up. I've cold brewed a few times, and find it to be excellent, but 24 hours is a long time for me to plan ahead.
    The problem is the sizing. Australian coffee comes in standard (8 ounces) and large (12 ounces). A large American coffee is 16 ounces, meaning the layer of foam is much bigger (and I've had some US ones that basically missed the 1/3 milk, it was a shot covered in foam). Australian coffee is normally done in the latte art style which means it's less 'foamy' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappuccino
    Last edited by 51M0n; 09-05-2013 at 06:50 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast