starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: deadlift: resting between reps?

Default deadlift: resting between reps?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi coaches,

when deadlifting becomes heavy for me I have to put down the bar between every rep, stand up, rest for like 10 seconds, set up again and do the next rep.
    I have to do this because after each rep i get lightheaded and dizzy for a few seconds, almost wanting to grab hold on to something so not to fall over. Kinda like loosing my balance for a few seconds. After that it clears and i can continue.

2 questions:

1) is it ok to complete the work set resetting between each rep, or do you have to be able to complete the set without resetting in between? I hope it's ok, because my current deadlift equals my squat (a not impressive 110kg, still fixing my deadlift form). I don't have this issue when squatting.

2) Not wanting to be a pussy, but is it normal to feel like this when the weight isn't that heavy, especially compared to the squat? i can imagine on very heavy singles or sets, people may experience this, but at a measly 110kg? ... or AM i being a pussy ?

If i missed a section in the book describing this, then i'll apologise for asking and be very happy to be pointed out to the book!

Thanks!

I generally like to see a set of 5 done without standing up or letting go of the bar. I would recommend resetting, and driving the weight back up while completing every set as a single set of 5. You have trained yourself out of 5's, and into singles. Man up and do it. Report back if you actually pass out.

OK, got it, thanks Coach!

At least start out making yourself do 2 reps in a row if going for 5's makes you crazy dizzy. The key is to figure out a progression that gets you to where you want to go. Like say
    Week 1: 1x2 followed by 3 singles
    Week 2: 2x2 followed by a single
    Week 3: 3x2
    Week 4: 1x3, 1x2
    Week 5: 1x4, 1x2
    Now go and get strong with 5's.

It will take a bit of time, but a drop in the bucket really.

good idea, i'll try that, really want to do 5's instead of 5 singles!
    thanks.

I almost died on my set of 5 today. First two were fine, before the third I took about 2 breaths, before the fourth I took 5 or so breaths, and before the fifth I probably took at least 8 or so. I never let go of the bar or reset though, so it was good enough for me.

Samuelsson - how long are you taking to return the bar to the floor?

Also, relax your neck muscles when you valsalva.

I noticed I get light headed precisely when I stand up after a heavy deadlift. What actually helps me is to NOT get up during the set, and once I get through my 5 reps I simply kneel on the floor and look down for at least 15 seconds before standing back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Samuelsson - how long are you taking to return the bar to the floor?

Also, relax your neck muscles when you valsalva.
    Steve: I hold the bar for about one second at lockout, then lower it back on a controlled manner holding my back tight, in about a second or two, maybe three? something like that? is that good?

i'll try to relax my neck next time, sounds kinda difficult to do when tightening all the rest but i think i know what you mean; something like temporarily pinching of a vein to my head, reducing the blood and oxygen to the brain, making me feel dizzy?
    haven't thought of it myself, but sounds logical... i'll give it a try, together with gradually building up the weight again. Thanks.

starting strength coach development program
    You're putting the bar back down too slow. Probably most of your problem right there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast