starting strength gym

Thread: SS Coaches Thoughts on my S&C program

Default SS Coaches Thoughts on my S&C program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I just wanted to get some feedback here on my program setup. Goal right now is to get stronger but improve overall conditioning and lose a little fat.

I am doing Lascek's old WFAC Program, with some slight differences in conditioning (PDF linked below).
    http://70sbig.com/wp-content/uploads..._S&CP_v2.0.pdf

For my conditioning workouts...
    Workout A (Tuesday, after power cleans) - 3 rounds of:
    10 DB Snatch
    10 DB KB Swings ("American" style to overhead position)
    7 burpees

I figured this was a good one, given that I can progress it along by increasing the number of rounds done in ~10min, then increase the weights on KB and DB and increase. The actual workout I pulled from for this was 5 rounds, and it was 7 pullups instead of burpees. I can't do that many pullups (I am not doing kipping), so I did burpees instead.

Workout B (Friday, after deadlifts: Barbell Complex - 3 rounds of 5 reps each
    Power Clean, Push Press, RDL, Row.

Originally this one had front squats in there too, but I'm 6'4 and have a lot of trouble doing them correctly, so I just dropped them. Not sure if this one is worth tweaking or not, and I'm still playing with the intensity level. Maybe I cut the reps down to 3 and do 5 rounds with heavier weights?

Anybody have better ideas for the second conditioning workout that might be better?

Thanks

I don't know if I've ever seen an RDL as part of a barbell complex, but then again, I haven't looked very hard. A couple of the others here are more into conditioning than I am, but here are my impressions. You don't need to be overly creative with conditioning. A prowler really is one of the best options out there, but I realize not everyone has a place to push one. Your first conditioning workout looks okay, but I am not much of a fan of the second one. I'd leave the barbell complexes alone and do some sprinting. If you haven't done any sprinting, start out with a 400m run. Do about 3 of them with as much rest as you need. A 400m is short enough that you have to run it fast, but not so short that you will pull a hamstring sprinting full speed. I think 100m sprints are a more advanced sprint. You need some technique and a solid running base to do those. If you injure yourself on your conditioning and your conditioning is a minor component of your program, then you need to reevaluate things. Fat loss will largely be accomplished through diet. What are your work set numbers for fives right now?