starting strength gym

Thread: Anthropometry/squat help

Default Anthropometry/squat help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've always noticed that pictures of me taken from another person's eye level look like they were instead shot from a few feet up a ladder. Suspecting there was a connection to my problems trying to learn the barbell movements, I was very interested in Dr. Kilgore's article here: http://lonkilgore.com/Measure_of_a_Man.pdf

Based on the proportions he describes and relative to my height, my wingspan (middle fingertip to middle fingertip) is a couple inches extra long, my torso is 3-4 inches extra long, and my forearms are a couple inches extra long . My elbows are about 4 inches above my navel. I also know my head is pretty big because my hat size is 7-5/8, but that's not covered in the article.

Now I'm trying to sort out finite physical limitations from form errors. I switched to power snatches because my hands/forearms don't permit the bar to rack in power cleans. I've learned to hold the bar under the tip of my chin to start overhead presses. I suspect the big torso and head are part of what makes it so hard to get past 2 deadlifts in a row without getting woozy and needing to stand up, but I know I also have form issues to work on.

First though, I'd love some help with my squat. Coming out of the bottom, I tip forward and end up making a C-shaped bar path. I know I'm wasting a lot of energy fighting the bad leverage. This is with the bar in what seems like the correct spot below the spine of the scapula. I've experimented with a lower bar position, but when I get it low enough to balance me out, the bar is sitting on the backs of my arms more than my back/shoulders and it's unstable at working weights. I'm 6'0", 37, around 210 lbs.

Huge thanks to anyone who has time to watch and make suggestions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pO9n4yBVDEA

These don't look horrible. As you note, a bit of a bar path issue, but not a major one. It's the result of a couple things: 1) You could do a better job making sure the weight stays on the middle of your foot on the way down, and 2) Get your chest up just a bit when you're driving up. the C-shape is a result of the degrading back angle as the hips drive up faster than the shoulders, and it gets worse as your set progresses.

The other thing you need to fix is the knee jab at the bottom. Set your knees a little earlier, and keep them there as you bounce off your hamstrings. You're trying to bounce out of your quads, which is why the knees jab forward. Use your quads to LOCK THEM (the knees) IN PLACE.