starting strength gym

Thread: How much hypertrophy is enough

Default How much hypertrophy is enough

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’m 6’4 300lbs and 39 years old. I’ve been doing starting strength for last month. I’ve done 531 for few years off and on and I’m an easy gainer when it comes to muscle and fat. My question is have I reached my hypertrophy potential and should I focus more on getting as strong as I can be and not focus much on building muscle besides a few accessory lifts. Here is a pic so you guys can get an idea of my body type.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

I think you'll find that for the most part the two go hand in hand. Honestly, as a bigger guy and a guy with seemingly good genetics a lower volume program like 531 would probably work fine for you. It focuses on progression on the main lifts and is designed in a very reasonable way. You can use that (or something similar) to build the base of the program around and then fill it in with light day type work and assistance stuff to fill in the volume and frequency.

So like:

Monday: Bench 531 / Volume Press / Delt + Tricep accessory
    Tuesday: Squat 531 / DL Volume or DL variation / Rows

Thursday: Press 531 / Volume Bench / Chest + tricep accessory
    Fri: Deadlift 531 / Squat Volume / Chins

Something like that.

First of all: you look good. Great pic, good hypertrophy.
    Second of all: there's just no telling what your true potential is.
    Combine these two points with your status as an easy gainer: Absolutely do The Program. As written. As long as you can.
    There's nothing to be lost by training for strength. You will most likely surprise yourself, and just might amaze yourself at how strong you get.
    Then, when you've added a couple hundred pounds to your deadlift, just imagine how much more effective your hypertrophy workouts will be when you get 'back' to them. (What will get you bigger: 3x8 rows with 185 or 3x8 rows with 315?)
    And, it's not like your hypertrophy will completely fade away while you strength train. You'll probably hold on to quite a bit. Besides, The Program makes allowances for including chinups, dips, LTEs, and curls, so you could actually get bigger.
    I say go for it.

Or, what Andy said. Always do what Andy says.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    I think you'll find that for the most part the two go hand in hand. Honestly, as a bigger guy and a guy with seemingly good genetics a lower volume program like 531 would probably work fine for you. It focuses on progression on the main lifts and is designed in a very reasonable way. You can use that (or something similar) to build the base of the program around and then fill it in with light day type work and assistance stuff to fill in the volume and frequency.

So like:

Monday: Bench 531 / Volume Press / Delt + Tricep accessory
    Tuesday: Squat 531 / DL Volume or DL variation / Rows

Thursday: Press 531 / Volume Bench / Chest + tricep accessory
    Fri: Deadlift 531 / Squat Volume / Chins

Something like that.

That seems like a good routine. Kinda similar to BBB 3 month Challenge. Thanks For the info.

starting strength coach development program
    In answer to the OP's question: when you have to run sideways to fit through the door. Keep going, brah, youre not there. If women want to worry about getting "big enough" let them; but as a man, there should be no limits on size acquisition.