starting strength gym

Thread: What beginner Olympic weightlifting program to use?

Default What beginner Olympic weightlifting program to use?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I haven't found anything concrete on the page, so, what is your opinion - what would be a good beginner program for Olyimpic weightlifting?

I like the idea that you get as strong as possible as fast as possible. Whatever program would let you do that. Then mix in the skill aspects of O-Lifting. Rip has posted about this many, many times in his forum. As he likes to say: SEARCH FUNCTION.

Smile

well I did, but obviously not good enough - So, will do. Thanks for the pointer.

From the FAQ:
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program

Which Version Should I do?
    This largely depends on how often you'd like to powerclean, deadlift and do pull-ups. If you want to deadlift and powerclean 1-3x/week and pull-ups aren't a priority (you'll get to add them eventually) do The Original Starting Strength Program. If you'd like to Deadlift, powerclean and do pull-ups about equally, do The Onus Wunsler Beginner Program. If you don't ever want to do powercleans and you only want to deadlift 1x/week, but you'd like to do pull-ups 2x/week do The Practical Programming Novice Program (Note: 2nd Ed now includes powercleans). You will gain extraordinary amounts of strength on any one of these fine programs.

Nothing the other guys haven't said, but I'll add my experience.

My form on the Olympic lifts is terrible, and I stick to the power versions. We have some guys at my gym who have beautiful form, and can whip right under the bar and catch it in a nice deep squat. I can lift more than they can. This is because I'm stronger, and that in turn is largely because I'm bigger.

Side note, one of them once wore a "Lift Big, Eat Big" shirt, and that made me laugh a bit, since he's about 160 lbs at 6 feet.

So do Starting Strength and get strong, then worry about the Olympic lifts specifically.