starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Year into Training at age 62

Default One Year into Training at age 62

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    We'll, you elderly crowd, I just realized that I have passed one year of lifting with you all. Its been a great year. Usually folks who want to look back at this point like to give advice based on all the things they have learned along the way. However, most every point I would make has been made on this forum a dozen times. Never-the-less, I will give in to the temptation to pontificate on just a couple of issues relevant to older folks who want to get strong with no history of training.

- If you are really weak when you start, like I was, start light
    - If you start light, you can do 3 times a week of linear progression for a while
    - As soon as you start feeling tired during the week, increase recovery time:
    light squat day on Wednesday, then workout every 3rd day, then workout twice a week, then only one heavy squat day per week (and one light one), then lay off every 4th week, etc. As the weights get heavier, older folks need more recovery.
    - You have to eat more protein than you would believe possible, but don't let the carbs and fat get out of hand. Its awfully hard to loose a bunch fat if you are older.
    - Whatever your program, however many resets you go though, no matter how many old injuries you have to work around, just keep showing up at the gym on the programmed day. You will get stronger and fitter.

After one year of lifting I'm enjoying activities I stopped doing a decade ago. I hope to lift for the rest of my life and get stronger for many years to come.

Thanks to all of you Geezers out there who have encouraged and advised me along the way. I have really really appreciated it!

Gene

Gene, I've been at it for about seven months. I confirm everything you've written. I eat much few carbs and much more protein. I can do things I never thought I could do. I'm not as active as you are. It's hard to surf on an inland fresh water lake. I feel so much better than before I started.

Nice work to both of you. Strength training keeps you young.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    - You have to eat more protein than you would believe possible, but don't let the carbs and fat get out of hand. Its awfully hard to loose a bunch fat if you are older.
    This is a golden nugget for me. I see a lot of nutrition advice around here recommending a fair amount of carbs. I have been doubting it. It is good to see you confirming my suspicions.

Quote Originally Posted by AK49 View Post
    I see a lot of nutrition advice around here recommending a fair amount of carbs. I have been doubting it.
    It's a good idea, as carbs are the source of energy for high intensity exercise. It's just that some people need to keep a tighter rein on them, since their bodies more readily convert excess carbs to fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    - If you are really weak when you start, like I was, start light
    - If you start light, you can do 3 times a week of linear progression for a while
    - As soon as you start feeling tired during the week, increase recovery time:
    light squat day on Wednesday, then workout every 3rd day, then workout twice a week, then only one heavy squat day per week (and one light one), then lay off every 4th week, etc. As the weights get heavier, older folks need more recovery.
    - Whatever your program, however many resets you go though, no matter how many old injuries you have to work around, just keep showing up at the gym on the programmed day. You will get stronger and fitter.
    Pretty nice summary, Gene, congratulations. I have also been lifting for a year, and I'm very happy. I must confess, however, that I have not followed your advice on just keeping showing up, but I'll do my best this second year of lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
    It's a good idea, as carbs are the source of energy for high intensity exercise. It's just that some people need to keep a tighter rein on them, since their bodies more readily convert excess carbs to fat.
    In my case, I don't think it takes all that much carbs to have the energy to lift weights. I looked at it this way: It doesn't take that much absolute energy to move against gravity the loads I'm moving. It might take a machine a certain amount of energy to move 400lbs and a whole lot less to move 100 and I'm the machine moving 100. As of yet I don't need more energy. I just need to build a better machine (muscle).

Good stuff guy. Would love to hear what progress you have made on your work sets this year.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I looked at it this way: It doesn't take that much absolute energy to move against gravity the loads I'm moving.
    The lack of carbs isn't an issue of absolute energy though. For absolute energy needs, you just need calories. Carbs are only necessary for high intensity work, as your body can't metabolize fat for that level of work.

For most people, this isn't a problem unless you're doing a ketogenic diet, as you'll get enough carbs just by normal eating. I've done keto, and I noticed the biggest difference on my olympic lifts, with less of an impact on the slow lifts.

Overall though, if you're not feeling unusually sluggish or otherwise just off in your lifting, you're probably doing alright with carbs.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by rhett View Post
    Good stuff guy. Would love to hear what progress you have made on your work sets this year.
    Damn, I was afraid someone would ask that as its pretty embarrassing how weak I was and after a year how weak I still am, but hey, its the improvement that counts, right?

Squat: 85 -> 190lbs 3 sets of 5
    Press: 45 - > 67.5lbs 3 sets of 5 (this is the worst by far!)
    Bench: 90 -> 142.5lbs 3 sets of 5
    Power Cleans: 45 -> 112lbs 5 sets of 3
    DL: 90 -> 230lbs 1 set of 5 (had to stop these as my arthritic knee was bothered by them)

Weight: 190 -> 225 -> 215 (I tanked up during LP, but have been taking it off slowly once LP ended)

I hope to get a two plate squat by the end of this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast