starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DL: Hips Rising Too Early?

Default DL: Hips Rising Too Early?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This was my first attempt at five plates. Would love any feedback from the esteemed ladies and gents.

This is not out set up model. You've shoved the bar out over your toes. With shins against the bar, this drops the hips. Therefore, what you see as hips shooting up, I see as hips not high enough at the start of the rep, and the bar too far away from the midfoot.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll review the instructions and set up closer on Friday.

Your initial positioning under the bar would probably have been OK, but with all the up/down/up/down/up/down you shoved the bar forward. Better to set up with shins away from bar and hips up high, then bring the shins to the bar, and then DON'T LET THE BAR MOVE.

Gotcha, thanks again. This was on the road and the bar was rolling more than I'm used to. I will film Friday's pulls at my home gym.

I didn't film Friday as I felt horrible and am deloading this week. I did very careful technique work today and the lighter weights definitely helped me regain the feel for (what I hope is) correct SS deadlift setup. I am super close to the bar, scraping the hell out of my shins.

Time to switch to rack pulls & haltings?

Let me preface this by saying that most everyone knows more than me when it comes to training - -but I freaking love the deadlift. Please SS coaches or those in know put me in check if I am wrong - -speaking soley from the way I pull - - which was 500 this morning during my deload week.

To me - -you are a bit slow off the floor. Don't take that to mean that you need to jerk the weight up by any means. Jim Steel of Bas Barbell puts it great: If you need to lift 495, put 494 lbs of pressure on tha bar to get the slack out". From there - get pissed and pull that shit . . .up your calves, use your lats to keep it locked against your legs and fucking pull it. Deadlifting is the one time of day that I go bat shit crazy for about 4 seconds...you don't need to scream and holler and do all that stuff. However you get psyched, get psyched. You strike me as one that keeps it in their head. . like I do.

But focus that energy, take the slack out of the bar, then RIP that fucker. You got the tools. You'll get there amigo!

Keep pulling!!

Sorry I missed your reply, Brian. I agree that speed off the floor is something I've thought I need to improve. But how? I spent the last 6 weeks doing speed pulls and didn't really feel like they made much improvement. I think the diagnosis is spot-on. What's the prescription?

starting strength coach development program
    Based on this video, which only shows a miss at a 1 RM, you don't need to work speed off the floor. A 1 RM will never be fast. If it is, it isn't a 1 RM. You do, however, need to work on your setup. Fortunately, there's a sticky for that in this very forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast