starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: weak bench

Default weak bench

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Guys,

I'm 34, weigh 92 kilograms, and about 5'8.

my squat is 157.5 kilograms(sets across), with a one rep PR deadlift of 180 klograms.

Is a 70kilogram bench press too low compared to the rest of the lifts?

I got told off by rip for my bench being too weak, and it made me wonder.

any opinions on this?

Thanks.

Get stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiji View Post
    Get stronger.
    Just curious. How much is the discrepancy between your bench and the two other big lifts?

Your bench is low in comparison. How much do you press?

My DL and squat are close to yours at 187 and 157. My weak bench is at 112.
    No big deal. Work at it consistently and bring it up. At this stage we are just getting started anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    Your bench is low in comparison. How much do you press?
    60 kilograms. Not good,I know.

Jsutt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lewabbit View Post
    60 kilograms. Not good,I know.
    My crappy bench has only started moving up since I began including heavy singles and high-rep back-off sets. My squat and deadlift numbers are lower than yours but 70kg is a weight I use for 10-rep sets. Of course Starting Strength is known for producing lifters with relatively low pressing movements compared to their squats and pulls - what kind of program are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsutt View Post
    My crappy bench has only started moving up since I began including heavy singles and high-rep back-off sets. My squat and deadlift numbers are lower than yours but 70kg is a weight I use for 10-rep sets. Of course Starting Strength is known for producing lifters with relatively low pressing movements compared to their squats and pulls - what kind of program are you using?
    Standard LP, dude. I don't power clean these days. Replaced it with two consecutive workouts with pull ups instead.

history of this is weak shoulders, coupled with indifference toward benching.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsutt View Post
    My crappy bench has only started moving up since I began including heavy singles and high-rep back-off sets.
    Can you give is more detail on this? What weight are you're singles and what weight are the back off sets? I'm kind of in the same boat with the press'

Jsutt Guest

starting strength coach development program
    No real program to it. I typically work up to around 90-95% of 1RM and crank out as many singles as I feel like on the day, or doubles or triples at lower percentages if I'm not feeling too hot. Then drop back to 70-80% and do sets of anything from triples to 10's. I should add that I've been benching between 4-7 days a week, so that may have just as much to do with it.

Like I say, I still have a crappy bench (1RM ~100kg at 78kg BW) BUT my bench press has always been really, really weak and it's only started moving recently - previous max before I injured my shoulder was 88x2 at 88kg BW one and a half years ago. Anything above 80kg always felt unstable and super heavy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast