starting strength gym

Thread: squat help required

Default squat help required

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    big thanks to you coaches here, I appreciate all the time you put into helping everyone out on here no matter how stubborn they are.

deloaded my squat once again for technique failures, I am determined to get this thing correct this time around.

I am squatting 160 in video. it feels light but i really need to reach depth before big jumps i think. in comparison my deadlift is 345x5.

I see a problem with my left knee, and obviously the crocked ass bar, bar honestly feels perfectly straight on my back. but lets do this! thanks again.

Stance is a bit too wide.
    Get your knees forward quicker / earlier in the rep.
    Keep the weight over your mid-foot. You're getting onto your toes (see the still of the second video - heels are off the ground)
    Your pacing of the rep is bad. You're feeling for the bottom instead of just expeditiously going there.

Fix the thing you're doing where you drop/twist your right shoulder. I'm not sure we can coach that on the internets. You need to seek out a coach in your area.

moved feet in about and inch on each side.
    tried to focus on shoving knees out first.
    had myself start rep with weight on heels to try and better keep it on the mid foot.
    also tried not to hang out at the bottom.
    working on bar tilt thing, but i had some weird hip pain going on in my right outer hip. seems to be connected with the bar tilt, if I had to guess im letting something go soft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGDp320Jqmg

First, hard to tell if you're still tilting the bar rom this angle, but if you are, you need to go down to a weight that you can make it stop and proceed up from there with perfect form.

These are much better but you still are pausing at the bottom. You'll need to figure out how to bounce out of the bottom off the tightness in your hamstrings. If you were here in the gym with me I'd have you descend a little quicker (as long as you could still control your knees), but you must get quicker at the bottom. Must. Use a lighter weight if you need to. Learn to bounce out of the bottom like there's a ball under your ass.

Finally, First two reps are high - go a little deeper. Half an inch. Others are OK, could be a warming up issue.

this comes as great news. however whatever I did really had some kind of outer hip tendinitis acting up or something which made mondays squats absolutely undoable. skipped to bench and deads. was not warmed up enough for deads and had a tiny tweak in my back. so if by wed im up for it I will drop weight down to 135 and see what i can do with that bar. interestingly enough when I can manage to keep the bar straight my hip doesn't hurt... thanks for your help im determined to make my way through this. im kinda broke so unless the fine coaches in westminster will trade and barder some high quality HVAC work for training sessions im on my own for a while.

hey Steve, really appreciate what you are doing for me here. set back down to weight I can manage at what I think is pretty good form, dont know about perfect. Bar IS staying straight. weight feels totally over my mid foot. by that I mean when I hit bottom it feels like im 2 inches off the ground. also tried working on my bounce. still needs to be quiker i think. let me know what you think and if i can progress from here. thanks, mike.

starting strength coach development program
    I think that much of Steve's advice still applies. Every one of your reps was a little high. Must get deeper.