starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guidance on purchasing barbells

Default Guidance on purchasing barbells

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone,

I am looking to purchase barbells for a new training facility. Can anybody please help direct me to good quality and reasonably priced olympic barbells (20kg/45 lb, 7ft), bumper plates, and kettlebells?

Anybody know of any good quality ones from China as well?

Thank you in advance,

J

I know nothing about kettlebells, do not know what a reasonable price is on bumper plates (though you get what you pay for in most cases, and you want them to last so you should expect to pay for them), but on barbells I can provide a recommendation:

http://www.roguefitness.com/burgener...-men-s-bar.php

I've had my B&R bar for about a year and am very happy with it as well.

Steve, the other day I was oiling the bushings with 3 in 1 oil and was thinking about the oxidation process. I know the bar is designed to oxidize or blue over time and this will further help protect against rust. I keep my bar in the basement (which is pretty dry) and added a dehumidifier to further protect against dampness and potential rust. My bar has more discoloring on the knurling (I'm guessing due to reaction with hand oils) but I wouldn't call it a shade of blue. Is the pic below indicative of the typical oxidation of these bars that you have seen, or should I be doing something more to protect my investment?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380042002.631668.jpg

Just clean the chalk off of it from time to time.

Has anyone used the Texas Squat Bar? Is it worth buying in addition to the Texas Power Bar?

Unless you are planning to load the thing with over 1,000 lbs, you probably don't need an eight-foot, thicker-than-normal bar. Hell, I am pretty sure Karwoski squatted his 1,004 on an Eleiko powerlifting bar. The Texas Power Bar would will almost certainly meet your needs both now and for the rest of your training career. The B&R bar would as well. I bought a B&R bar about two years ago and I greatly enjoy it.

I've had the B&R Bar for several years now. Worth every penny.

For barbells I have a DHS training bar (WL bar) and a B&R bar. I really can't think of a reason I wouldn't recommend either as I've been very pleased with both. The difference is the DHS spins like a dream so I find it much easier to use for quick lifts. I do think I could have gotten away with a cheaper power bar than the B&R bar as I only use it for OHP and bench press.

For bumpers I cannot recommend Hi-temps. I do not like them. I can recommend the Rogue competition or the Eleiko Training line bumpers. I've been very pleased with those.

I have some Pendlay rubber coated change plates that have the metal insert falling out of about half of them so take that for what it's worth. One is really bad, but my bulldog was using it for a chew toy so I don't see that as an issue with the plate like the other ones.

I have an Eleiko training bar that is too nice to use properly. I deadlift and power-clean with it, and sometimes press, but I can't bring myself to put it on pins or in a position where it might hit spotter bars.

I also have a Hampton "1500 lb" bar that I use to squat and bench, and it can be found new online for $100, delivered. It is 32mm Chinese steel, but it is stiff and they got their knurling right. It is impossible to PR a deadlift with, but I sometimes pull it out for presses if my elbows/wrists feel sore--the increased diameter really spreads out the stress.

To me, the ideal bar is somewhere between "too Swedish to use" and "dangerously Chinese." Do not buy a bar that will scare you in any way. B&R bar looks good to me and will be the next one I buy.

starting strength coach development program
    I cannot imagine that there are actual degrees of quality for kettlebells. As long as it weighs approximately what it claims to, it's a good kettlebell. And if it doesn't, you can paint its real weight onto it. Just look for the cheapest ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast