starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I don't know if it didn't came through or got lost, but I posted a reply for a form check in this thread http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=42785 about 5 days ago, so I thought I'd try again:

Is my deadlift any decent in this video? I try to keep my back in extension and rise simultaneously with hips & shoulders, but it doesn't yet feel that easy to me. I clearly have to work on keeping my head down during the set.

So this is a set of 5 x 105kg without too much effort compared to the 5 singles @ 90kg I came from which made me dizzy (I'm now at 5x 120kg with head looking down). Got some tips on lowering the bar much faster, which seemed to do the trick very well for me!

Thanks!

PS: some decent lifting shoes are on my shopping list, and the video has in fact 6 reps, I lost count.

Don't look down. Also, don't throw your head back as you lift. Instead, look at a point on the ground about 15 or 20 feet ahead of you (or where you think that would be) and watch that point for the duration of the set. Squeeze the bar off the ground. Don't try and yank the thing upwards. Keep the bar on your legs. Taking a little more time on your setup and getting good and tight and uncomfortable will help with this as will a pair of long socks.

Thanks Mr. Campitelli, I tried to follow your advise today but when I watched the video i'm pretty disgusted with my form... It's the first time i shot a video from the side and it shows pretty clearly that:

A) i'm not dragging the bar up my shins and legs all the way down,
    B) my head is still not in the right position. I face a wall about 1,5 meters in front of me, so i'll have to find the right spot.

FWIW: here's my video of 5x125kg (the last rep is horrible in regards to points A & B)

Question: i think i recall from reading the book that it's the job of the lats to keep the bar close to the legs? I'll try and fix that next time!

thanks for your time.

I could get used to this Mr. Campitelli thing.

Your head starts out in the right position, but as things get difficult, you throw it back. Avoid doing that. You don't need to keep the bar on the shins on the way down, only on the way up. I recommend getting a rubber pad for under your feet, too. That way, you are on the same level as the plates. Be a little more patient on your setup. Right now, you try and set your back and pull immediately thereafter. Squeeze your chest up. Get very tight. Enjoy the discomfort. Then, squeeze the bar off the ground.

Food is your friend, too. Be not afraid to eat more.

Mr. Campitelli......I think "Mr" preceding your name is permanent now. Sorry about that and you're welcome at the same time.

starting strength coach development program
    Allright, I'll report back with a video of my next deadlift session.
    as always: thanks!