starting strength gym

Thread: squat check update, please

Default squat check update, please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey,

about 2 months ago I posted a squat check and got some great advice from coach Wolf. Then I was barely squatting 115kg.

Here is my squat at 135kg 3x5

I see a few things wrong here. First I realize that the bar is coming off center. This is something that happens at 80kg, 40kg and even with the empty bar. My first set in the video was the worst and felt the heaviest. The last 2 reps felt like I did a little good morning.

The 2nd set felt best. In the third set which I "filmed" from behind I see my knees somewhat coming together.

A few questions:
    1. Am I hitting depth? The first set is particularly questionable to my untrained eye.
    2. Do you think I should proceed to 137,5 kg next Monday? I realize my form isn't perfect, but if I would seek perfection I would never add weight.
    3. Would you recommend I use a belt or it's not necessary yet?

I'd like to thank you guys for the free advice you give out here, it's really helpful just to read the advice given to other members with similar problems that you can relate to. And I apologize for the bad quality of the video, it really is the best I can do since my terrain is slanted on all sides and for the last set I just stuck my phone into some gravel because that was the only option to get it stable.

As you mentioned, due to the lack of a horizontal reference, judging depth here is hard. I do think that you are probably above parallel on most of these. Don't try to squat with a vertical shin. Let your knees come forward early in the movement. This should help with your bar path problems. Check out the bar placement video in the Resources section of this site. You may be carrying it too low. I'd also bring your heels together by about an inch.

You are not going to want to hear this, but you should do what you can to find a better place to train. An unstable wooden rack, a standard bar, uneven ground, and squat sessions that get cancelled by rain storms add up to decreased safety and less than ideal training conditions. I'd like to see you squatting in some weightlifting shoes on a flat concrete slab floor with a proper bar and rack and, yes, using a belt if you feel like it might be time for one. Some of your form issues will clean up by eliminating these variables. Depending on where you are in Croatia, you may not have easy access to these things. Do the best you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    As you mentioned, due to the lack of a horizontal reference, judging depth here is hard. I do think that you are probably above parallel on most of these. Don't try to squat with a vertical shin. Let your knees come forward early in the movement. This should help with your bar path problems. Check out the bar placement video in the Resources section of this site. You may be carrying it too low. I'd also bring your heels together by about an inch.

You are not going to want to hear this, but you should do what you can to find a better place to train. An unstable wooden rack, a standard bar, uneven ground, and squat sessions that get cancelled by rain storms add up to decreased safety and less than ideal training conditions. I'd like to see you squatting in some weightlifting shoes on a flat concrete slab floor with a proper bar and rack and, yes, using a belt if you feel like it might be time for one. Some of your form issues will clean up by eliminating these variables. Depending on where you are in Croatia, you may not have easy access to these things. Do the best you can.
    Coach Campitelli,

thanks very much for the input. Concerning bar placement, I was actually afraid I was carrying it too high, but in accordance to your comment I will try to adjust it more properly. As for the knees coming forward earlier during the descent, I was already warned of this mistake by coach Wolf. I will pay even more attention to this segment of the squat as well. As per your instructions I will also narrow my stance and see how that works out. Perhaps it will allow me to force my knees out more easily.

Concerning better places to train, unfortunately I pretty much live in the woods, the nearest town is 40 kilometers away and all the gyms there (2 "gyms") are actually wellness/recreational/aerobic centers with no squat stands or racks so that's out of the question. I can't order a standard olympic bar because I can barely scrape up enough cash for a 2nd grade quality belt. Same goes for lifting shoes. I put a slab of concrete in my wooden rack that's actually completely flat but I guess it doesn't seem that way when looking at the video because the rest of the terrain slopes to a large degree and at various angles. Also, I'm planning on building a new rack shortly, this time from steel.

Since I don't seem to be reaching proper dept, I will redo 135 and post a video the first chance I get. Thanks again for your comments!

P.S. my training sessions don't get canceled by rain storms, or snow storms for that matter. I just shovel off the snow and wear a hooded sweatshirt. It builds the immune system. Since starting SS I barely even catch a cold. Thanks SS!

P.P.S. The good news (GREAT NEWS) is that I will (hopefully) shortly be moving to Texas in the spring of 2014. Hopefully I will find a gym that will allow me to fulfill my full potential, although I don't like the word potential because "Potential means you haven’t done shit yet".

One more question: do you see anything in the video that could lead to a possible back/spine/disk injury?

Thanks again once more.

I am impressed by your commitment. I would have a tough time motivating myself to squat in the snow. Even more so in the rain. In the event that you move to Texas, I know of a great gym in Wichita Falls that knows how to teach this stuff. Hell, I know of gyms in San Antonio and Kingwood that fit the bill, too. Good state for lifting, Texas.

You hold your back together well. Aside from squatting with a heavy bar on your back, I see nothing about your spinal positioning that could lead to a possible spinal injury.