starting strength gym

Thread: My review: Fringe Sport's One Fit Wonder 15lbs Training Bar.

Default My review: Fringe Sport's One Fit Wonder 15lbs Training Bar.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    http://www.fringesport.com/collectio...b-training-bar

For months now my kids have been begging me to start weight training. They sit and watch me lift and beg to participate. But until now all I have were 20kg/44lbs full sized bars, which were far too heavy for them to lift.............. most of the time. Here recently I had 65lbs (10lbs bumpers) on the bar for a snatch warmup and my youngest daughter walked up and deadlifted it. I yelled at her to put it down, until I realized that she did a bodyweight deadlift with perfect form, then I asked to see it again. Both of my girls deadlifted it with great form, and they did it easily. It was then we decided they needed their own bar.

I wanted to buy an MDUSA 5kg training bar, but they were out of stock everywhere at the time we were looking to buy.

I have 2 Fringe Sports within driving distance of me and had been wanting to give them some business. I called and they had their training bars in stock, so the family and I took a family trip to check it out. The kids immediately took to it and begged for it. We had it budgeted so we I went ahead and got it. We have not regretted it.

Specifications:
    28mm shaft
    50mm collars
    15lbs
    6' long
    Brass bushings

My review:
    This bar is well built and has pretty tight tolerances. Out of the box it did not spin well because it apparently comes dry, but a few drops of 3-in-1 oil in each sleeve and it spins just fine. Not that my kids need it to spin well, this was more of an OCD issue for me.

The MDUSA bar weighs 5kg/11lbs and has a 25mm shaft as opposed to the One Fit Wonder's 28mm shaft. I was concerned with this for my kids, but it has not been an issue so far. They seem to grip it just fine. The upside to the extra 3mm shaft thickness and extra 4lbs is it is rated at 30lbs more than the MDUSA bar, which may come in handy down the road.

The only issue I may have with this bar is the knurl. It is rough. Rougher then my Pendlay bar. It grabs the hand quite a bit. It is fine for the power lifts, including the deadlift at the weights it is used, but I'm not sure my kids will like it when it comes time to teach them weightlifting. It's not painful, but it's rougher than I'd like for the kids. They don't seem to even notice so far, I'm just worried they will. It is fine for my wife and I, and I suppose if the kids learn on this bar, they'll get used to it and not have any problems.

The bar is a full 1' shorter than a regular bar but most of the length is taken out of the collars, so the shaft is plenty long enough for most adults and all kids to get as wide a grip as they need.

My wife likes the bar and will be using it when she gets back on her feet and gets back into the gym. Right now 44lbs is a little too much for her to start with for everything except for the deadlift. This bar will allow her to start low and still be able to load as much weight as she will need without needing to swap bars for quite a long time.

This bar is a great bar for those wanting an almost full sized Olympic bar, that excepts 2" plates, but needs something lighter than the 20kg/44lbs or 15kg/33lbs options. It is rated at 150lbs, but I have no doubt that it can handle more than that as long as it is placed down gently and not dropped.

We've had this bar for about 6 weeks and my kids have had several sessions where they have squatted, deadlifted, bench pressed, and overhead pressed. And so far they love it. They deadlift with the 10lbs bumpers on it (35lbs) and we have let them add small amounts of weight to each of the other lifts.

I would recommend this bar to anyone needing a training bar, and I would buy it again if I needed another training bar.

Overall I'd rate it a 9/10.

Nice review. Its cool you got your kids into training, also.

You don't happen to know where to get inexpensive iron do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Haggit View Post
    Nice review. Its cool you got your kids into training, also.

You don't happen to know where to get inexpensive iron do you?
    Thank you.

As far as iron, I just shop around Craiglist all the time. There are always iron plates for .35-.50c/lbs. A lot of people buy sets to lift with at home and then quickly sell them once the newness of their New Years resolution wears off. Anywhere else and you're going to pay regular price.

Good to know.

I'm surprised that a 65lb trainee is ok using a full diameter bar. Also, are you having them do deficit DLs to approximate the ROM of the normal DL (given their likely shorter stature)?

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    Good to know.

I'm surprised that a 65lb trainee is ok using a full diameter bar. Also, are you having them do deficit DLs to approximate the ROM of the normal DL (given their likely shorter stature)?
    Why is "approximating the ROM of the normal DL" desirable? What is normal? I don't follow.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    Good to know.

My kids have no problem with a 28mm bar, at least at the weight they are currently using.

As far as the height of the bar in comparison to their height, I personally just have them use full sized IWF/IPF bumpers and have them stand flat on the ground. It's a little high on them, but I don't know of a way to figure out exactly how high a bar should sit on the shins. My wife and I are the same height, and the bar sits lower on her shin than mine due to her having longer legs. She also has longer arms and has a lower lockout than I do with my T-Rex arms, so she has to lift the weight a shorter distance than me. As adults we don't adjust the height of the bar for deadlifts for difference body dimensions, so I don't adjust it for them. I figure as they age and get taller they will be used to lifting it at their current height. Besides, if they ever decide to compete, they use full sized plates even for the kids.