starting strength gym
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing my first (and only) bar for strength training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks for all the responses! Yes, I've heard about B&R issue from a while back, but I believe it's been fixed. Lots of people seem to like their B&R bars.

I'm looking for a men's bar, so 15kg is out. My hands are large, so I don't need a 25mm bar for deadlifts. As Tom would attest, in his class women get to use a women's bar only for the quick movements - PC or power snatches, everything else is done with a regular men's bar (warm-ups for the press are with a 15 lb bar if needed). I also noticed that women's B&R bar does not have a center knurl, so I assume you are not supposed to squat with it.

At my local gym, I deadlift, squat and bench with a 30mm (?) no-name PL bar (rubber caps and all). I use a 40 lb bar for presses. My bench is 86 lb, and my press is 58.5 lb -- I've struggled with the press, perhaps due to a lack of proper warm-ups.
    Last edited by kessg; 09-30-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Vis-a-vis center knurl: I think it's overrated for back squatting. Or at the very least I've squatted plenty of times with random bars that did not have center knurl and it was fine. I feel this is especially true for low bar squatting, since the bar is often wedged in.

This is in no way meant to dissuade you from getting the men's B&R bar. I'm also in the market and that is the current front runner. I just don't think center knurl or lack there of is all that critical relative to a bar's other qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by kessg View Post
    Thanks for all the responses! Yes, I've heard about B&R issue from a while back, but I believe it's been fixed. Lots of people seem to like their B&R bars.
    But which issues are you referring to? I got a B&R that's bent by 3mm, it's so bad that it sticks when your roll the shaft sitting in the plates on the floor. Sure the sleeves don't shift, and there's no gap between the collar and the sleeve....but it's bent and that's the bottom line. Their cust service would not do anything or offer to help replace it either, unlike all the amazing heroic stories you read about online. I should have known better though.

Anyway it's your money, but I would not risk it with that bar. Better options out there.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleNurple View Post
    But which issues are you referring to? I got a B&R that's bent by 3mm, it's so bad that it sticks when your roll the shaft sitting in the plates on the floor. Sure the sleeves don't shift, and there's no gap between the collar and the sleeve....but it's bent and that's the bottom line. Their cust service would not do anything or offer to help replace it either, unlike all the amazing heroic stories you read about online. I should have known better though.

Anyway it's your money, but I would not risk it with that bar. Better options out there.
    If they sent me a bent bar and refused to replace it or accept a return, then they would soon find a bar on their doorstep with notification that the credit card charges have been disputed, that I have video proof of the fact that it was bent and that, if necessary, small claims court and a lot of forum posts accurately reporting my experience with their company will follow should they chose to fight the charge back. That would probably be the last I heard of the matter.

I'd probably just eat the return shipping costs because I'm a softy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    However, Rogue recently started making their bars in house that are called Ohio Bars. I got to pick one up in July, but I haven't actually used one for lifting, or gotten to see how they wear. They look promising and I suspect they are better than the other Rogue branded bars. They are the same price as the other Rogues within a few dollars.
    I have an black oxide Ohio bar and really like it. The knurl is pretty fantastic, as it feels really grippy/tacky without being aggressive, holds chalk really well, and still has the bare steel feel.

You might want to give them another try. That's really odd that they wouldn't replace it. I've had them replace things with no issues for a lot less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by lewabbit View Post
    This ain't your usual hunting grounds,TC.
    Back in the good old days it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    A Buddy Capp TPB can be had for $234.50 + s/h. I much prefer a TPB to a B&R due to the knurl, but most people will find the TPB knurl too heavy for cleans, so it is probably a poor choice if you are only going to buy one bar. If you are talking about a "different TPB," then I have no idea as this is the only version I've used.

You are unlikely to get a total consensus here since this is partly individual preference. If you are set on getting one bar, then I don't think you can go too far wrong with the B&R.
    Shows you what I know. I was looking over at EliteFTS for a price. I think their TPB was $350.

You got this from Rogue and they wouldn't help you out? How far did you pursue this with them? A bar with a sleeve that won't spin because of a bend is pretty big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kessg View Post
    I also noticed that women's B&R bar does not have a center knurl, so I assume you are not supposed to squat with it.
    Of course you can squat with a bar that doesn't have center knurl. I do it everyday. I used to think that center knurl was a must, until I squatted without it and realized there was no difference. Now when I look for a bar, I look for a bar without center knurling. I prefer it that way.

I'm looking for a men's bar, so 15kg is out. My hands are large, so I don't need a 25mm bar for deadlifts. ......... (warm-ups for the press are with a 15 lb bar if needed)

At my local gym, I deadlift, squat and bench with a 30mm (?) no-name PL bar (rubber caps and all). I use a 40 lb bar for presses. My bench is 86 lb, and my press is 58.5 lb -- I've struggled with the press, perhaps due to a lack of proper warm-ups.
    I'm confused. You say you won't buy a 15kg bar because you use a 45lbs bar at your gym, where you also have a 15lbs to use for warmups. But earlier you said this bar you want to buy is for your home gym or office, where you presumably won't have a 15lbs with which to warmup. Then you go on to say that your bench and overhead press are very low, possibly due to not warming up properly.

I'm sorry, but it definitely sounds like you need a lighter bar. That or you need to buy a regular 45lbs bar and a 15lbs training bar (oddly enough I just did a review for the One Fit Wonder 15lbs Training Bar yesterday). But there is no way you can ever possibly warm up properly for a 58.5lbs press, starting at 45lbs. That's around 75%. That's not a warmup.

You may be able to grip a 28+mm bar okay, but you most definitely need something less than 45lbs, especially if this is going to be your only bar.

But since you absolutely insist on a 45lbs bar, then my vote is go with the Cap OB-86B that I linked to. It has amazing reviews all over the internet and is extremely popular. People who review it say it is of the same quality as a $300 bar. If I ever get a powerlifting only bar, it will be the OB-86B.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by KAG View Post

I'm confused. You say you won't buy a 15kg bar because you use a 45lbs bar at your gym, where you also have a 15lbs to use for warmups. But earlier you said this bar you want to buy is for your home gym or office, where you presumably won't have a 15lbs with which to warmup. Then you go on to say that your bench and overhead press are very low, possibly due to not warming up properly.

I'm sorry, but it definitely sounds like you need a lighter bar. That or you need to buy a regular 45lbs bar and a 15lbs training bar (oddly enough I just did a review for the One Fit Wonder 15lbs Training Bar yesterday). But there is no way you can ever possibly warm up properly for a 58.5lbs press, starting at 45lbs. That's around 75%. That's not a warmup.
    I can see why it is confusing!

I train at two places currently:
    (1) My neighborhood gym (most of the time) where I have access to 45 lb and 40 lb bars
    (2) Group strength training class with coach Tom C (occasionally) -- it's a CF box, so they have 45 lb, 33 lb women's and 15 lb training bars. When I am there, I use a training bar for warm-up on my press and a women's bar for power cleans.

I did not want to get a women's oly bar (33 lb) just because I need a lower starting weight on my press. But KAG is right; I do probably need a 15 lb training bar for warm-ups for the press. I'm taking it one thing at a time -- the 'main' bar first, then anything else.

Separately, KAG gave me a good reason to justify the training bar -- I can get my son (7 yo) to train with me (maybe!). Then it'll be worthwhile.
    Last edited by kessg; 09-30-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast