starting strength gym

Thread: SS Novice Progression

Default SS Novice Progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    At what point specifically do I need to stop pulling every day and move on to the next progression in the Novice program as outlined in Practical Programming? (meaning I start using chins/pullups and stop pulling from the floor every workout). The book is somewhat vague on this, as it says "after a short time"

I'm sure you guys have answered this before but I haven't been able to find a forum thread discussing it. I imagine this would be at a point when deadlifts and power cleans start to stall. I have always felt more lower back stress from squats than DL's, so I probably have a ways to go. Should I wait until after I reset both DL/PC?

Currently: SQ - 285, DL - 325, PC - 175

Thanks

I think you've made a mistake. You haven't read carefully.

"For most people, and for quite some time, this schedule will work well. After two to tree more weeks, chin-ups can be added as the only really useful assistance exercise at this point in the program. You might decide to ad three sets of chins after your power cleans, and stay with this program FOR AS MANY MONTHS (*MONTHS*) AS POSSIBLE. Or, back extensions or glute-ham raises can be added in place of pulling every workout, dropping the DL frequency to every fifth workout, alternated with power cleans. This might become necessary if recovery is becoming a problem, as it might be for an older trainee, a female trainee, or someone who refuses to eat and sleep enough."

Wow... is that 3rd edition? I don't recall that being in SS2E. I must have misread. Thank you.

Yes, sorry. 3rd edition. I should have made that clear.