starting strength gym

Thread: Bench press assistance

Default Bench press assistance

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip
    I have a few questions about bench press assistance on an intermediate program. I would like to add the lying triceps extension, the close grip bench press, and dips to my training. My questions are 1 would I do one of these exercises and the end of a workout that I banch pressed during or would I do them on a different day? Question number 2 would the reps and sets stay at 3 by 5 or should I do 3 by 10? To clarify I have no plans on doing all of these exercises in the same training session they would be done seperatly one of them each week. Thanks for your time

It sounds like you're just freshly transitioning to intermediate programming. If that's the case, pick one of those exercises and do it for 3 sets of about 6-12 reps depending on your goals. Don't worry; the other exercises will be there in the future when you need them.

Don't go to failure. Tack this exercise on to Monday's bench volume day, or Friday's bench intensity day (provided it does not affect your next volume day). Some variations of the TM do program a Tuesday for assistance work. This will have to be your call, based on scheduling and recovery ability. Remember not to let assistance interfere with the main lifts.