starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Coaches, just wanted to get a second opinion on whether or not my lower back is straight enough.

I was using the sticky'd deadlift technique up until I started using a belt. My gut gets bunched up and jammed if I bend at the hips to grab the bar with a belt on.

The video has some benny hill editing as I was fannying about with my grip on the first rep and I turned what should have been a set of 5 into a set of 3 with 2 singles which I'm going to try really hard not to do next time.

http://youtu.be/kJ_tJ2a1MRU

Thanks for your time.

I'd like to see you get your back flatter than that. Learning to use a belt on the deads is difficult and can take some time. That does not look like a true powerlifting belt, but you may want to consider a velcro belt for your pulls. It will interfere less. You can learn to use a 4" powerlifting belt, but it will fight you. On the plus side, despite your claims, you have no gut. A pronounced belly can also interfere with the setup.

Here are my recommendations:
    • Spend less time in prayerful reflection while holding on to the bar. Just get the thing done. Put the bar down, squeeze up really hard, and pull. No more hanging out for 10 to 15 seconds hoping that things will feel lighter.
    • Get a slightly wider grip.
    • Internally rotate your humerus. This will point your elbows more forward and move your medial epicondyle out of the way a little. This will allow you to more effectively do the next step.
    • Drive your knees out a little more.
    • All of that should help you squeeze up.
    • Squeeze up much harder. Get uncomfortable.

http://youtu.be/lwITYLMTByw

Spent less time in prayerful reflection, took a wider grip but completely forgot about the humerus advice.

First couple reps looked and felt much better. Not so sure about the last two though, probably just a case of not squeezing enough again.

Not bad. You tend to bump the bar forward with your shins prior to each pull. Get the bar over the midfoot (as detailed in the sticky at the top of this forum) then drag the bar up your legs. Long socks will help with this.