starting strength gym

Thread: Novice SSv3: When should DL progress to PC?

Default Novice SSv3: When should DL progress to PC?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Sex: Male
    Weight: 188lbs (85.5kg)
    Height: 5'9"
    Squat WW: 55kg
    Bench press WW: 40kg
    Deadlift WW: 60kg
    Press WW: 30kg
    Power clean: n/a
    Chinups max: n/a
    Locale: UK

Novice. Starting Strength in a committed fashion for the first time less than a month ago. Made a few mistakes because I hadn't taken it all in, I'm still learning. Started the program fresh this week, after creating a 'proper' program just completed session 2 (B).

No special diet, I am attempting to get my training programming correct whilst eating lots of whole foods several times a day. I will be constructing a diet over the coming months. I'm in this for the long term and don't want to overwhelm myself with rigid plans, diets, calorie counting, macros etc. just yet. I think it's enough to be learning proper form and the programming first. I will be assessing my tolerance to GOMAD after completing the fourth week, I think that is sensible.

Looking to get strong for the rest of my life. Not a body builder. Always impressed by power lifting and strongman competitions.

I am monitoring my weight and body fat out of interest, to understand the changes my body is going through during my journey. My BF has gone down from 28.5% at 84.7kg on 22 September to 22.3% at 85.5kg on 05th October.

Here is my simple question:

When do I go to Power Cleans from Dead Lifts?
    Or am I asking the wrong question entirely?

I have read and re read v3, I have listened to Rip's pod casts, read the wiki and searched Google.

In the Wiki it states "Once the freshness of the dead lift has worn off a little and the dead lift is established well ahead of the squat, the power clean can be introduced:".

• What is classed as 'fresh'? 2 weeks, 5 weeks, 10 weeks??
    • What is classed as 'well ahead'? 5%, 10%, 30%?

It's obvious I'm not there yet, but I don't want to miss the boat on the Power Cleans, they look like fun.

Thank you so much!
    Last edited by LilNick; 10-09-2013 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Mentioned goal of GOMAD, I forgot to include earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by LilNick View Post
    Here is my simple question:

When do I go to Power Cleans from Dead Lifts?
    Or am I asking the wrong question entirely?

I have read and re read v3, I have listened to Rip's pod casts, read the wiki and searched Google.

In the Wiki it states "Once the freshness of the dead lift has worn off a little and the dead lift is established well ahead of the squat, the power clean can be introduced:".

• What is classed as 'fresh'? 2 weeks, 5 weeks, 10 weeks??
    • What is classed as 'well ahead'? 5%, 10%, 30%?

It's obvious I'm not there yet, but I don't want to miss the boat on the Power Cleans, they look like fun.

Thank you so much!
    Let me get this out of the way: Buy the book. Nevermind, it isn't out of the way. A dozen more people will surely post the same advice.

You start alternating power cleans with deadlifts after "the first couple of weeks." At some point you will not be able to recover from pulling heavy every session. This also allows people completely new to lifting to sort out their deadlift form before learning the power clean.

There is no fixed percentage for well ahead, but consider the following:

You are probably going to start off deadlifting more than you squat.
    The book suggests starting with 15# (~7.5 kg) increases for the deadlift.
    The book suggests starting with 10# (~5 kg) increases for the squat.
    If followed for two weeks, your deadlift will have progressed 30# or 15kg further than your squat.

My post edit isn't going through, so:

If you've really read the book, read it again. This is all covered under the "Progression" subheading (under "Learning the Lifts") in the "Programming" chapter. Forget the Wiki.

Your BF didn't change anywhere near that fast. Those electric bf monitors have so much variation that they're practically useless, especially when you change programs.

At your height ,weight and age you do NOT need GOMAD as you are already "fluffy" or close to it (see case 3: http://thefitcoach.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/584/)

I'd say "well ahead" in this case would be ~50lbs.

Also note that you should keep increasing the DL by 5kg even after you introduce the PC. i.e. don't drop it to 2.5kg/workout which is the normal increment for the squat after the first few workouts.

Thanks for your support guys.

I've bought and really read the book, three times cover to cover. Took me a few days each time. I've taken on so much, but unfortunately not all of it. The learning curve is very steep.

I have it on Kindle and searching for information I know I have already read is impossible - try searching for 'deadlift' or 'power clean' and see how many results come back.

Maybe when I read it again (which I undoubtedly will) I will make notes, the problem being that I am not sure what will be relevant to my progression, I could bookmark the entire book!

I appreciate the time you took to answer my questions, thank you very much indeed.