starting strength gym

Thread: Women's belts

Default Women's belts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    And yes, I tried using the search question, including the interrogation needed before clicking "Search" (is there some genius stealing bandwidth via search functions to justify that waste of time?). Yes, I know belt questions have been asked over and over again, but the search function doesn't want to admit it. Using google to search in the site doesn't work any better, the only discussion is in Aleli's blog thread.

I am looking for a belt for a woman. She is 5'10", with a tiny waist (I don't know the exact measurement, but 24" is probably too big).

I've looked at the usual suspects, but my question is whether a 3" belt is any better than a 4" belt? It makes sense that it would, but I'm asking based on experience.

Women, any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by OITW View Post
    I am looking for a belt for a woman. She is 5'10", with a tiny waist (I don't know the exact measurement, but 24" is probably too big).

I've looked at the usual suspects, but my question is whether a 3" belt is any better than a 4" belt? It makes sense that it would, but I'm asking based on experience.
    Waist size isn't normally the determining factor between a 3 or 4" belt. It's more about the vertical dimension, in that a 4" belt may go too high on the torso for shorter people, and be uncomfortable based on its proximity to the ribs. At 5'10" she's probably going to want a 4" belt.

On an unrelated topic, when I tried to submit this post with "between a 3(inch symbol) or 4" belt.", I got
    Server Firewall Blocked Your Request

Code fragments, unencoded characters, markup and other nifty things are blocked for security purposes. Strip any cut & paste information of formatting before posting, use the handy editor buttons for formatting, and use bbcode for additional formatting, not html.
    Anyone able to tell me why?

I'm 5'9" with a small waist (though not 24" . . . that's teensy) and I comfortably wear a 4" belt. At her height, 4" will probably work for her unless she's short-waisted.

I don't have a tiny waist, but I'm 5'6" with average torso length and wear a 4" belt without issue. I have a 3" belt and strongly prefer the additional surface area of the 4" belt.

Thank you all for responding, I definitely wasn't seeing it the way you were and that's why I asked. I used my 4" velcro belt on her, although it needed to be tighter than a belt for my gut could get and there was no complaint. So I'll go shopping for a 4" belt instead.

Quote Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
    On an unrelated topic, when I tried to submit this post with "between a 3(inch symbol) or 4" belt.", I got

Anyone able to tell me why?
    It must be a setting in vBulletin to block any non-ascii formatting. It definitely blocks unicode in quote posts; there might be other types of strings that it doesn't allow in regular reply posts.

OP, Best Belts will make a smaller belt--waist size is easy to accommodate. As others have noted, the thing you really should worry about is width. Even 5'10" people differ in torso length, so if she's all legs, you could consider a narrower belt. I am a 5'9" woman, natural waist is 28" (though wider at navel, which is where you measure for a Best Belt order). My torso is fairly long and a 4" belt works well for me.

Something to keep in mind is that as you build spinal erector and abdominal strength, your waist size tends to increase. That doesn't make you look "fatter", mind, since you will build muscles in other places, too. I am just gonna guess here that at her height and waist size, she must be quite slender and slim-boned all over, so she might not add that much muscle (apparently, how much muscle you can add depends on the size of your skeleton; The Sports Gene book talks about this). But she might add enough to where her waist will grow bigger. So measure around the navel if you order from BB, and do not fear a bigger waist if bigger comes from muscle.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm 5'3 with a 24 1/2 in. waist., relatively normal torso length, you know, for a midget. I have the 4 inch Best Belt. I have worn a borrowed 3 inch on occasion and much prefer the 4, I just have to buckle it and then smoosh it down a bit before deadlifts.