starting strength gym

Thread: Hey coaches; Question about rotator cuff injury

Default Hey coaches; Question about rotator cuff injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey all.

I've been dealing with a rotator cuff injury on my right side for a while now (since mid 2012). Never had it diagnosed but I'm going to see a doctor about it next week.

It recently went away almost completely after I abstained from heavy benching and dips for a few weeks. It's came back again recently even though I feel my form has been pretty close to perfect.

To make it better, I also did a lot of band work (involving external shoulder rotations), shoulder dislocations and deep massage daily with menthol rub.

I think overall this helped but the pain has flared up again since my benching has gotten heavy on TM.

I did some hammer curls with a 10lb dumbell today by chance and found that the motion really hits where my cuff seems to be injured. Especially when I slowly lower the weight back down to my side.

I was thinking I might do a few sets of these daily at this very light weight because it seems to target where my shoulder hurts. I'm thinking it might promote recovery and strengthen/flush blood into the injured area. I'm wondering what you and the forum think? Obviously I'm worried about making the problem worse by doing this. It doesn't feel that way at the moment though.

Thanks.

I would get the thing diagnosed so you know what you are have. It may be that you don't need to bench very much. You'll probably be able to tell us how the hammer curls work. They will either make it better, make it worse, or do nothing. Kind of like prayer, only with curls there would at least be a plausible mechanism for causing a change in outcome.