starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm on a boat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    That reminds me that I need to read the rest of the Aubrey-Maturin novels, although I feel like I need a large, illustrated chart to identify the various things O'Brian refers to throughout his books.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    That reminds me that I need to read the rest of the Aubrey-Maturin novels, although I feel like I need a large, illustrated chart to identify the various things O'Brian refers to throughout his books.
    Here's some advice about that. I can't tell a spar from a jib boom and I get sea sick more than 10 feet out to sea from the surf line. I never tried to master a lot of the really nautical talk in the books, it was too distracting from the story line and the characters. The real meat and bones of those novels are Aubrey and especially the ship's surgeon and intelligence operative Maturin. The other characters sometimes pass into and then out the novels over the course of 2-5 of them, so the cast of characters while changing a little is much easier to keep track of than say all them damn rooskies in War and Peace.

If you like the genre, I also highly recommend Dewey Lambdin's books. Captain Lewrie is a regular Harry Flashman at sea and he portrays a much wider view of the ship's operations and crew than O'Brian does.

One of their best? Noooooo they have much better videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQlIhraqL7o

If we're talking pirate metal then I have to throw Alestorm into the ring.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta-Z...e_gdata_player

Lonely Island is so great. This one makes me lose it every time. Great Day is also hilarious, but the ending isn't as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    The real meat and bones of those novels are Aubrey and especially the ship's surgeon and intelligence operative Maturin. The other characters sometimes pass into and then out the novels over the course of 2-5 of them, so the cast of characters while changing a little is much easier to keep track of than say all them damn rooskies in War and Peace.
    A friend of mine just introduced me to the audiobooks. Since I don't drive a car, I don't have a ton of time to listen to audiobooks, but I did make it most of the way through HMS Surprise on a drive to L.A. and back. They really are quite excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by slowgain View Post
    Lonely Island is so great. This one makes me lose it every time. Great Day is also hilarious, but the ending isn't as good.

Ditto, this one kills me. Not many I've shown it too seem to get it/find it funny, though

happy birthday to the ground!

This one where they feature on Between Two Ferns is good, which will probably lead you into watching the rest of the Between Two Ferns series as well. Pretty amusing.

starting strength coach development program

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12