starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Train Like an NBA All Star

Default Train Like an NBA All Star

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I got a good cringe watching this video this morning. Thought some of you might enjoy cringing to it, too.

Which part did you find cringe worthy, if I may ask?

Box Squats
    Box Jumps
    Monster Walk? (I've seen similar exercises as a warmup [X-Band walk]?)
    Lunges
    Ab work
    Treadmill pushes (Prowler alternative)

The blonde girl's massive levels of annoying, for starters. The fact that there was only one actual strength exercise (box squat) in the entire thing, and it was performed poorly and to a high box. The complete lack of any useful coaching on the part of Dr. Strength Coach (I smell physical therapist). Stability ball silliness. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    Which part did you find cringe worthy, if I may ask?

Box Squats
    Box Jumps
    Monster Walk? (I've seen similar exercises as a warmup [X-Band walk]?)
    Lunges
    Ab work
    Treadmill pushes (Prowler alternative)
    This. Those were all pretty normal. The box squat was the only barbell exercise, but other exercises can still be legit. Plus she almost caught that red dot!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    The blonde girl's massive levels of annoying, for starters. The fact that there was only one actual strength exercise (box squat) in the entire thing, and it was performed poorly and to a high box. The complete lack of any useful coaching on the part of Dr. Strength Coach (I smell physical therapist). Stability ball silliness. Etc.
    Unfortunately, this is pretty much the norm for most collegiate and professional level S&C programs. I was actually surprised that they even did box squats. I am surprised they had time to squeeze that into the program in between all of the dynamic flexibility work and glute activation exercises. I looked up the strength coach, my initial inclination was that he is a PT as well, but his bio says he has a Ph.D. in Human Performance. Unfortunately there is not much of a difference between the two when it comes to experience in teaching and coaching barbell exercise.

What made me cringe most was seeing that prowler on their nice wooden floor. Man.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    This. Those were all pretty normal. The box squat was the only barbell exercise, but other exercises can still be legit.
    While I obviously think strength (and power) training using the barbell is the most effective way to train and forms the basis for the most effective S&C programs, there can be times and places for other things depending upon a multitude of considerations, sure. It wasn't that every last thing, taken on its own, was automatically awful and the root of all evil. It's that not only was there was plenty of silly BS, but the sum total of the presentation could be made into a case study in what's wrong with collegiate and professional strength and conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Plus she almost caught that red dot!
    Ya, that's true. I kind of want to try that thing, it looks fun. The one thing she did the entire time that was actually funny and not annoying was when she asked "Did I win?"

I think I could handle being an NBA superstar if those are their daily workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkoutNick View Post
    I think I could handle being an NBA superstar if those are their daily workouts.
    Right? Too bad the 'being really tall and skilled at basketball' part plays a much bigger role than these workouts in determining who gets to play, and star, in The League.

starting strength coach development program
    "Hey coach, we have these bumper plates. What should we do with them?"

"Just push them around the floor with the side of your foot."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast