starting strength gym
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Article: Why you shouldn't do SS as a beginner

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    I tried, but they wouldn't have me!
    Ok, that's not what happened: I wrote an email to GE asking if they had a list of places that did composition analysis (the machines are generally used primarily to measure bone density in older women at an insurance covered rate of like $200 a pop)

I also asked if they had any similar info about people who had these GE InBody BIA testers (http://www3.gehealthcare.com.sg/en-G...sis/InBody_720 ). They do some considerably fancier stuff than the normal ones.

I didn't get any sort of response.

If (and i emphasize the conditional "IF". I'm not telling you what to think or do) you are dissatisfied w/ how your pants fit or you think you have too much fat, but you don't want to drop 10 or 15 lbs because you're worried that you're going to lose hard gained muscle mass and strength... that's when knowing your bodyfat level is useful.

If you're actually 140lbs @ 20%bf then it would be (practically) impossible for you to be 125 lbs and have the same muscle mass you have now (because it would mean being ~10%bf...). But if you're 140lbs at 30%bf then it would be feasible (hypothetical endpoint of ~21.6%bf). If you're 140lbs@35%bf it would be practically a non-issue (hypothetical endpoint of ~27.6%bf).

But yes, otherwise it's not particularly worthwhile, but the same is true of body weight. Some significant number of my friends (half? though mid-30s that fraction has been dropping) don't know or care what they weigh and haven't stepped on a scale in years.

(note to those itching to jump on this: yes i KNOW it would probably not be a straight line from point A to point B and that there is some path dependency, and it depends on program etc, i'm just illustrating a point)
    The prescription for loss of body fat doesn't change just because you paid $200 for a number. You can see body fat. Grab a handful, shake it and watch it jiggle. If you can't do that, maybe you do have some kind of delusion and maybe then a number will help you come to your senses.

I step on a scale once a year. Even that much is too much. What is hard is learning how to lift weights as a woman who has struggled with her weight her entire life. It's a total mindset change. Quite a journey. There are still those days of freaking out, though.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    But everyone has a different threshold of bodyfat required to retain muscle. A precise body fat measurement isn't any more useful than a crude approximation in terms of designing a good diet and exercise program.
    Except when the crude approximation suggests you're have 5lbs more muscle than an Olympia champion (of the 50s) at the end of your SS novice run.

As to the different threshold for different people: Like with strength that's probably a lot more relevant when you get closer to your genetic limits. However, when it comes up on this board it's usually about people who aren't pushing the limits of either leanness or strength.

I suppose it's irritating when average-looking people on the internet claim 12% bodyfat. But they claim to be 6'2" tall, with a 140 IQ and an 8" penis too. So what?
    Where did i claim to be 6' 2" ?

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I step on a scale once a year. Even that much is too much. What is hard is learning how to lift weights as a woman who has struggled with her weight her entire life. It's a total mindset change. Quite a journey. There are still those days of freaking out, though.
    Word.

Lifting has made me realize what a giant crazy world we women live in regarding weight and fat. I don't have a problem with how I look, but to say out loud that I weigh 155 is hard and weird.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    Except when the crude approximation suggests you're have 5lbs more muscle than an Olympia champion (of the 50s) at the end of your SS novice run.
    Please continue to mock people who claim to be 8% body fat at 5'8" tall and 200 pounds with a 225 lb squat. That's good clean fun.

But if I tell you I'm 18% bodyfat, why does it really matter if a DEXA scan disagrees a bit? I'm too fat for GOMAD, which is all that's relevant.

As to the different threshold for different people: Like with strength that's probably a lot more relevant when you get closer to your genetic limits. However, when it comes up on this board it's usually about people who aren't pushing the limits of either leanness or strength.
    We're talking about the value of accurate bodyfat measurements.

If I ask you, "can I expect to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time", you'll tell me, try and see!

The answer doesn't depend on my *true* bodyfat percentage. You might want to ask my gender and maybe my testosterone levels, but an extremely accurate fat measurement is irrelevant.

I can always tell if I am getting leaner or getting fatter. The mirror and pants are there everyday. Does it have to be more complicated than that? I am currently getting a little fatter...on purpose. Everyone should know what the hell is going on with themselves.

Please continue to mock people who claim to be 8% body fat at 5'8" tall and 200 pounds with a 225 lb squat. That's good clean fun.

But if I tell you I'm 18% bodyfat, why does it really matter if a DEXA scan disagrees a bit?

I'm too fat for GOMAD, which is all that's relevant.
    We're talking about the value of accurate bodyfat measurements.

If I ask you, "can I expect to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time", you'll tell me, try and see!

The answer doesn't depend on my *true* bodyfat percentage. You might want to ask my gender and maybe my testosterone levels, but an extremely accurate fat measurement is irrelevant.
    [/quote]

I don't think it matters at all if it disagrees "a bit". If i suggested otherwise, i certainly didn't mean to.
    +/- 10% (e.g. +/- 2 on a reading of 20%bf) probably doesn't makes any difference at all. Not even sure DXA is that accurate.
    +/- 15% prob doesn't matter much either.

Around +/- 25% is where it'll prob start causing confusion in our context.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Whatever thread it was that linked that height/weight gallery of loads of people, I was kinda surprised: most of the people around my 'area's were women, and yes they looked a little plump but not the sort that could hardly walk and had trouble getting out of the house sort that I was expecting (mostly from the usual sources of pseudomedicine/beliefs)
    http://www.mybodygallery.com/index.html

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324