starting strength gym
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Why you shouldn't do SS as a beginner

Default Article: Why you shouldn't do SS as a beginner

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    http://skinnyfattransformation.com/w...as-a-beginner/

Somebody tell Rip, fast! Tell the coaches to sketch on a program that fits skinny fat people.

How could we have been so wrong?

Starting lean would be best

I couldn't read to much into the comments, without losing intrest these guys are worried about estrogen levels and yeast infections or something like that.

What's rather frustrating about all of this is that if you read through the comments on the page (that's 10 minutes I will never get back) you will discover his lift progression after 7 months...it's just so far outside what I've seen happen with even genetically uninspiring people (like me) that I need a lot of convincing that he even did something close to the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Racculia View Post
    What's rather frustrating about all of this is that if you read through the comments on the page (that's 10 minutes I will never get back) you will discover his lift progression after 7 months...it's just so far outside what I've seen happen with even genetically uninspiring people (like me) that I need a lot of convincing that he even did something close to the program.
    Yeah... he hints at that even in the main article:
    In the first 7 months I was in a caloric surplus for 2-3 weeks at a time to enable myself to progress on the lifts, but then I would get fat which would make me reduce my calories to lose that fat. So, I was zig-zagging back and forth with close to no results.
    But even with that how he only made it only to 155lbs i don't know. He seems to have SS 2nd ed which hadn't incorporated the "clarification" article.

Still, i think it would be useful to the "skinny fat" to be told that they may very well have to do some serious dedicated fat loss after doing SS LP. The clarification's assertion that SS LP will always normalize the fluffy novice to <20% bf if they just "clean up their carbs" doesn't seem to pan out a good deal of the time.
    Last edited by veryhrm; 11-03-2013 at 01:36 AM. Reason: less strong

can someone point out to me what his lifts were? I am finding it really difficult to believe he added weight to the bar and ended up with no changes to his body, especially when he claims he was on major calorific surplus.

Yeah. I don't get how you can barbell train three times a week to failure with adequate sleep and food and not improve significantly. I suspect that as soon as he gained 2 pounds, he cut calories significantly and lost strength. Over and over.

He mentions "doing SS" for 12 months. He may have squatted, benched, pressed and deadlifted for 12 months (he didn't powerclean), but nobody does SS for 12 months. For example, starting with the empty bar and adding 5lbs a workout 3 times a week for 52 weeks means an 825lb work set. This seems unlikely. If you do SS you get a linear progression, reset a few times with a few lifts, and then go onto some advanced novice or intermediate programme - in far less than 12 months.

He has not read the book, any articles on this website, followed the programme, or eaten properly.
    "I want to get to Smithtown."
    "To get to Smithtown, follow the M6."
    "I went along the M6 but didn't like the view, I took the M10 instead. My god, what a horrible road, and I never got to Smithtown! You are a terrible navigator."

In the comments he reports his lifts after 7 months.

Bench: 30 kg x 5 to 50 kg x 5
    Press: 15 kg x 5 to 30 kg x 5
    Squat: 30 kg x 5 to 70 kg x 5
    Deadlift: 47.5 kg x 5 to 80 kg x 5
    7 months should be 30 weeks with 90 workouts. Allow an ordinary 1 in 6 to be missed due to illness, injury, laziness, etc. That's still 75 workouts. Assuming he doesn't have microplates, at a +2.5kg raise in each progression, he's only gone up 8 times for bench, 6 times for press, 16 times for squat, and 17 times for deadlift. There'd have to be a lot of missed workouts, weeks in a row, or repeated bouts of infectious diseases, for the lifts to not progress considerably more than that in 7 months.
    Last edited by Kyle Schuant; 11-03-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    can someone point out to me what his lifts were? I am finding it really difficult to believe he added weight to the bar and ended up with no changes to his body, especially when he claims he was on major calorific surplus.
    His 12 months of SS got him...

Bench: 30 kg x 5 to 50 kg x 5
    Press: 15 kg x 5 to 30 kg x 5
    Squat: 30 kg x 5 to 70 kg x 5
    Deadlift: 47.5 kg x 5 to 80 kg x 5

Fucking hilarious.

starting strength coach development program
    Looking around his site, I see he has a free e-book.

It looks like he's trying to set himself up like Mehdi the StrongLifts guy did.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast