Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don't die while bench pressing

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Yes it is me, I get the problem.

I am reworking my stands this week to vastly improve their safety

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it's me, around the time I stopped last. I'm restarting now, trying to get as much specific advice as I can, and I am addressing the safety rail issue.

And my video freaks me out too. It wasn't that scary at the time, as the bar was supported from crushing me by my strength, and it came down in a fairly controlled manner. I knew I could hold it there a while, and could dump the plates. The lying there didn't feel as long as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by GrimmThing View Post
    WTF?!? Condition much? Nice shirt.

And 2x4s in 5 gallon buckets as stands. Classy

GrimmThing, you are a brave man to attempt a bench PR with that setup. And you handled being pinned much better than the kid in the original video!
    I've done the roll of shame several times, but now have safeties which is a lot nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiji View Post
    WTF?!? Condition much?
    I get winded from walking to the kitchen, Gotta start somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grimm, that was a fucked up bench press for many reasons, but you're alive, you're here, and you're asking us for help. Andy has given you some good advice on losing weight, and the rest of us are here to coach you along the way. Ignore the assholes. There are a lot of good people on this board that want to see a guy like you change his life for the better. Stay engaged. Stay focused. We're rooting for you.

As a bar suddenly coming down on your throat will more than ruin your day.
    If the bar is over your throat and your elbows aren't safely locked out, you're a leading Darwin Award candidate.

On the topic of people doing dangerous things with suboptimal set ups, here's a video of Chinese people backing heavy ass weights back onto what appear to be lightweight, poorly balanced wood stands. Crazy sons of bitches.

Trust me, I'm well aware how badly out of shape I am. The honest truth is that I usually make my choices in a short-term manner. This is why I am back to terrible shape after starting to take this seriously 18 months ago.

Its hard to learn self-discipline after living your life without it for 38 years.

I'm right now taking a week or two to re-orient myself, especially in terms of diet, as I really can't do something as drastic as Andy suggested.

I'm an asshole but I'm still rooting for you Grimm. Good on you for trying to better yourself. I didn't follow what advice you have gotten but IMO you are better off getting lean before trying the program. Walk every day. 1 mile the 2 then 3 then 4. Eat way less than your eating now. Eat a ton of vegetables.

starting strength coach development program
    Grimm,

Any reason why you don't lift in a gym instead? Not only would the equipment be safer but there would be other people there to spot you. Plus, sometimes the energy of the gym can help motivate you (though that depends on the place).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast