starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Checkin in with my press 2.0

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I just have to say that this press thread was both amusing and very helpful. I thought about these cues during my baby presses tonight, and this combined with the memory of Tom yelling at me made for a winning combo.

http://youtu.be/gCYqiVxbg0Y todays set

You were right of course, my grip was to wide lol. I moved from middle of my thumb to lining up the start of the knurling to the inside of my index finger. I took a video before and after and this grip had much more vertical forearms. I tried keeping everything very tight and it kind of looks like I lost a little off of my hip rebound? Pretty hard to tell with the angle of the video though.

Also my neck is a little stiff again, and I noticed I am tucking my chin on some of these reps would this most likely be my issue?

Thanks

Looks good! Now, just get under the bar as quickly as you can. Think about slamming your torso forward as your hips rebound. Get aggressive with it. It's typical to start short-changing the hips forward motion as the set gets harder. Be aware of this and fight it.

For your neck, again, go get a very hard sports massage. I'm not talking about candles, incense and the sound of waves gently crashing in the background. I'm talking about someone who works with athletes and will take great pleasure in hurting you. Tell them where your pain is and make sure they focus on your neck, shoulders, traps, pecs, etc. This will help a lot.

ah.. the candles, incense and waves just sounds so much more provocative though.. I'm a broke ass college student but I will put the massage on the list, I am sure it cant be too expensive.

I will get after it again friday and post back. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Horn View Post
    There are very few guys I know that need to grip the bar more than an inch outside the knurl.
    Do you mean on a power bar or an Olympic bar?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Edward View Post
    Do you mean on a power bar or an Olympic bar?
    Excuse me, I should have said "an inch into the knurl."

The center space will be about the same on either bar, about 16.5".

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-H View Post
    I'm a broke ass college student but I will put the massage on the list, I am sure it cant be too expensive.
    Buy the shoes. Find a nice sorority girl and tell her your coach insisted she massage your neck. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Horn View Post
    Excuse me, I should have said "an inch into the knurl."

The center space will be about the same on either bar, about 16.5".
    Ah. The only power bars in my gym are 32mm York bars with a wider center space than the oly bars. I didn't realize they were nonstandard.

But yes, I grip about an inch into the knurl of the oly bars,, and I'm 6'2" with long arms.

starting strength coach development program
    Mr. Horn... I like your style.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12