starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: height/weight ratios

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Shit son, when I started LP last year I was 180 at 6'3". Im 220 now and although I look bigger I'm certainly by no means big. In fact I still look down right skinny. For me to really fill out I'm thinking of hitting around 245-265

Unfortunately I can't find it right now, but there's a good video by Brandon Lilly. He talks about how when he was under 200 he thought being 200 would mean he was big, but then he hit that and didn't feel like he was. Then the same thing with 225, then 275, etc. There's always a higher goal to chase.

If someone knows and can find the video I'm talking about, that would be appreciated.

This site is great for getting an idea of how different height / weight ratios look, as well as how different people at the same ratio can be.

http://www.cockeyed.com/photos/bodies/heightweight.html

Quote Originally Posted by rodstewart View Post
    This site is great for getting an idea of how different height / weight ratios look, as well as how different people at the same ratio can be.

http://www.cockeyed.com/photos/bodies/heightweight.html
    Geez, I should submit a photo of myself for that silly website. We need some strength trained people for the 6' 260 or 270 category.

Quote Originally Posted by GrimmThing View Post
    Yes, yes you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Yeah, honestly you would have to be around 275 to look "huge." I have a pic posted in the fatty thread (E&P). I am 6'6" and 348 in that pic. Of course I am nowhere near 15% bodyfat, but I think I need to get bigger to truly be huge.
    I guess Lou is 6'5" and 285 at what I would guess to be less than 10%BF in the beginning of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCeLsV9-4b0 which makes me think I would really have to be over 300 @ 15% to compare...minus the tan and the ladies' panties of course I won't look as svelte, but the effect with street clothes on would likely be similar.

Being huge is so subjective and relative, but I am fine with getting close to 70's Hulk big ; ).

I've been anywhere from scrawny to thin all of my life and I just want to get to where I am out of those categories without being fat. I also know that aesthetics aside, I still need a bunch more muscular weight to have the leverages to lift a bunch more than I do now, which is much more of a motivator.

Quote Originally Posted by ericholas View Post
    ...how do you know you dont already make children cry?....

(couldnt resist)
    I definitely make my own children cry, but not because of my size.

Before I realized my training regimen was masochistic and barbell lifts are the foundation of actual strength building, I weighed 168lbs at 6'6''. This morning I weighed 222, and the holidays should get me to 235, which is about 3lbs per inch, finally. Might go for 238 just to make it an even 60lb swing.

But instead of thinking that I'M big, I'm starting to see everyone else as sickly. When I think about how skinny I still feel, I can't imagine an adult male being content with less than 3lbs/inch. Obviously, that ratio (in a healthy male) is all but unheard of in many cultures, but the culture I'm in (Northern Virginia white people) is bathing in cheap food and gym memberships, yet everyone is a rail or a potato.

As I get bigger so does my pity for people with a distorted view of what it means to be healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by slowgain View Post
    But instead of thinking that I'M big, I'm starting to see everyone else as sickly...

As I get bigger so does my pity for people with a distorted view of what it means to be healthy.
    I know exactly what you mean. Knowing what the body is capable of, and what a capable body looks like makes most of general society's thoughts on body imagine seem beyond ludicrous. The old Zack Evetts thread comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by slowgain View Post
    You clearly have bigorexia.

starting strength coach development program
    I feel like 3lbs per pound has got me just outside of skinny.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast