starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys. Big thank you to all of you for offering advice on here.

I'm 2 months into LP, c.270 pounds, up to 165kg / 360lb x 5 x 3 on the squat. Have tried to nail down my form myself but I think I'm:
    - Not getting quite deep enough
    - Losing lumbar extension in the hole
    - Tracking forward of vertical with the bar

Any thoughts appreciated. Here is one of my work sets (I have the other two if useful as well):

http://youtu.be/sbLsWP7qBN4

PS: I lift in my under-sized garage, hence the furniture around me and the close-up video. I have just bought a new house to rectify this issue.

The squats were filmed a bit too close to a standing position to be certain about depth. Your first one looked shallow. Your last one looked deep enough. The rest fall under "maybe" or "probably." You overextend your spine at the top and then lose that as you descend. Don't arch the hell out of your back at the top. Instead, stand up as normally as you can with 360 pounds on your back and get really tight. You don't really go into flexion. You just lose your overextension. Your knees slide forward at the bottom on most of your reps, except number five. That was your best squat. Get very tight and focus on keeping your knees in place as you get below parallel. TUBOW might be of assistance.

Thanks Tom - much appreciated. Will try out TUBOW tonight and see if I can correct the knee slide. I hear you on the over-extension as well.

Let us know how things go.

Tried TUBOW tonight. Wasn't 'terribly useful' to be honest - my femurs are short, so my knees don't extend past my toes anyway.. Used for 3 warm up sets but was more of a distraction than a help as my knees never got near it.

Hit two work sets at 165kg (didn't increase as I've missed a week due to illness / being a pussy). Still had knee slide on about half the reps so tried to do a set at 140kg and make it pretty. It wasn't. Got video if helpful.

Is the knee slide something you'd recommend dropping the weight to fix before increasing again, or do you think it's fixable whilst I keeping increasing my weights?

Hi Tom. Quick update as requested. Tried TUBOW but it was no good for me - I think my femurs are very short vs my tibias, so my knee doesn't actually touch the wood at any point...

Decided to do a small deload to 160kg and work on form. Here is my final work set from tonight: http://youtu.be/Lsv9k0vjqko

Still not pretty. I've been trying to cue myself to sit back on my heels at the start of the descent, but still have knee slide. Bar path is definitely forward as I come out of the hole as well. Think my depth is ok though?

Would appreciate any tips for cueing myself more effectively to sit back. Thanks again for your help.

Your video is private. Looking at you old video, you do have pretty short femurs.

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry - changed the video setting now so should be viewable. I'm 6'1 with a 29 inch inside leg. Most of the gap is in my femurs.