starting strength gym

Thread: quick diet question

Default quick diet question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Currently 6'4, 220. I have been doing GOMAD and trying to eat more to get up closer to 230 for a while. I started out back in August at around 205 after a layoff.

More recently, I have noticed that I am starting to put on a little more fat than I want while I do this. My original plan was to get up to 230, then try to lean out while maintaining the same bodyweight.

I'm probably around 17-18% bodyfat right now. Does it make sense to cut back on the milk and get in more clean protein, or do I just stick with the milk? It's only 10 more lbs anyway.

I see your 230 and a raise you 245. C'mon, dude, you're 6'4"!!!

That being said, if you think you're getting too fluffy, you can back off the milk and possibly toss in a day or two of conditioning. Up to you. How are your lifts going?

For what it's worth, I started out as a very fluffy 6'4", 210 lbs when I started my linear progression. I didn't do GOMAD, but I was on a bit of a "see-food" diet, and now I'm a much more solid 230. My bodyfat has likely gone up a bit, but proportionally, I've filled out a lot more too.

From my perspective the extra weight is easy to drop. I'm 5'11" and went from about 215 to 240, then down to 225. Progress was consistent through the weight loss (not impressive, but still moving forward). As long as your lifts are progressing, don't spend too much time looking at the scale.

Fair enough. I'm not opposed to hitting 245, however the waistline thing is a financial issue by itself. I am getting close to the end of my range for pants fitting and I've already replaced them once haha.

Lifts are chugging along... I'm doing Advanced Novice right now and coming back off of a squat reset after stalling at 315, which I reattempt on Friday. I definitely want to keep my lifts rolling, so at this point I think I will just stick with the milk until I get to 230 and then just clean up the diet a bit. I am not satisfied at all with my bench progress, but I do have very long arms, so that doesn't help.

Progress since starting back up in August after a layoff since April:
    SQ: 175 -> 310
    DL: 235 -> 385 FUCK. YES.
    BP: 150 -> 212.5
    OP: 95 -> 142.5
    PC: 120 -> 190

one more thing... my press numbers are a strict press, not press 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by tweakxc03 View Post
    I'm not opposed to hitting 245, however the waistline thing is a financial issue by itself. I am getting close to the end of my range for pants fitting and I've already replaced them once haha.
    Do not let a lack of properly fitting pants keep you from getting stronger.

Squats > pants.

starting strength coach development program
    I am going to give a slightly different opinion. Read Jordan's To Be a Beast Then get on his forum: Nutrition, 5 down from the Coaches forum. I started taking his advice and my weight has stabalized, my waist is getting smaller, and my lifts are going up.