starting strength gym

Thread: Disproportional Lifting?

Default Disproportional Lifting?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been following SS for a little over a month now, with 2 non-consecutive missed sesions so far. (I'm a college student.) I was a bit of a pussy at first in terms of starting weight, and it took a little while to figure some form stuff out, but it seems like a lot of that is taken care of. It seems, though, like I'm really lacking on certain lifts, and I'm trying to figure out why.

My own stats:
    Height: 6'0
    Weight: 280lbs (I'm a pretty big guy right now.)
    Probably 30-35% BF (endomorphic)

I have short legs for my height--about a 29-30" inseam.

Lifts:
    Squat: 160 (lbs)
    BP: 125
    OHP: 75 (see comments)
    DL: 225
    PC: 115

My 75 lb press should be considered a barely-there, I.e., it's not comfortably 75. I rememeber reading that it tends to be more dependent on diet, and I've been eating below maintenance most days, sometimes far below maintenance, though not necessarily on purpose. My BP also seems low, but it's moving along after some good form changes.

So how does this look? Are there any conclusions you can make without a video?

EDIT: That's definitely supposed to be "disproportionate." There was a hockey game on while I typed this.
    Last edited by elabrie; 11-19-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elabrie View Post
    Are there any conclusions you can make without a video?
    Not really. It's a bit lower than usual compared to your BP, but not out of the realm of normal.

Quote Originally Posted by elabrie View Post
    Are there any conclusions you can make without a video?
    Yes, you need to keep lifting. In fairly short order, you will be a good deal stronger. Enjoy the ride and train hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Yes, you need to keep lifting. In fairly short order, you will be a good deal stronger. Enjoy the ride and train hard.
    Ha! Fair point, Tom C.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Not really. It's a bit lower than usual compared to your BP, but not out of the realm of normal.
    I have a working set coming up tomorrow, so I'll have someone get a video of it. I'll probably get video of everything else, too, for future reference.

And yes, Tom, definitely a fair point. I've had a lot of fun with it so far, and I really look forward to going to the gym. The program offers up a better mindset than most--get strong, not a beach-body--which works for a lot of people, I think, and certainly for me.