starting strength gym

Thread: A word of warning to UK members thinking of buying a new bar

Default A word of warning to UK members thinking of buying a new bar

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hopefully the coaches will let me post this in here as I think it will get more views than in the Ends & Pieces Forum.

Strength Shop UK have some pretty decent looking bars. However, the first one they sent me came in battered and ripped packaging - the bar inside was bent about 8mm.

We sent it back.

Second time around, again, packaging looking beaten up. The use a flimsy cardboard tube. This time, the bar has a 2mm bend. I'm keeping this bar but I would think twice before buying anything from them. We have sent them pictures of the packaging so hopefully they will improve it.

On the bright side, they were very good with dealing with the issue and sent out a new bar very quickly. It's just a shame about the packaging, or rather, lack of it.

So they have given me a £30($49) voucher to spend for my troubles.

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/

There's nothing I think I NEED. What would you get?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    So they have given me a £30($49) voucher to spend for my troubles.

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/

There's nothing I think I NEED. What would you get?
    Their chalk stand is £30, as are their deadlift slippers, knee sleeves, and 60mm belt (if you can't use a 4" belt for deadlifts/Olympic lifts). You could also pick up several pairs of deadlift/Olympic lifting socks at £8/pr.

I've been looking to buy a bar recently and haven't had much luck unless I wanna spend £800, which I don't. Where abouts are you in England anyway?

I'm sorry to hear this, they were great for me when I was over there. Those bars were bent long before Royal Mail ripped up their wrapping, though. Quality control. The bumpers I bought from them look like shit, but for individual use they are still very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    Hopefully the coaches will let me post this in here as I think it will get more views than in the Ends & Pieces Forum.

Strength Shop UK have some pretty decent looking bars. However, the first one they sent me came in battered and ripped packaging - the bar inside was bent about 8mm.

We sent it back.

Second time around, again, packaging looking beaten up. The use a flimsy cardboard tube. This time, the bar has a 2mm bend. I'm keeping this bar but I would think twice before buying anything from them. We have sent them pictures of the packaging so hopefully they will improve it.

On the bright side, they were very good with dealing with the issue and sent out a new bar very quickly. It's just a shame about the packaging, or rather, lack of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunk View Post
    I've been looking to buy a bar recently and haven't had much luck unless I wanna spend £800, which I don't. Where abouts are you in England anyway?
    London. £800? That's a lot. How much weight are you handling to require a bar that expensive. Texas Power Bars can be had for around £400. You must be very special if you require a bar better than a Texas Power Bar.

Quote Originally Posted by OITW View Post
    I'm sorry to hear this, they were great for me when I was over there. Those bars were bent long before Royal Mail ripped up their wrapping, though. Quality control. The bumpers I bought from them look like shit, but for individual use they are still very good.
    This is dissappointing.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    You're halfway to their new fancy-looking shoes. Don't get the wrist wraps, the velcro on mine pops open all the fucking time.the inch dumbell looks pretty interesting too, and that step up platform has been on clearance for months, so maybe get it off the lists for all us weekly voyeurs!

My Do-Wins are more than enough for me.

I bought the chalk stand/bowl.