starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: make do alternative for shoes or those who wear chucks

Default make do alternative for shoes or those who wear chucks

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    came across these as i liked the look of them and while trying to find them cheaper online found out they 1) have a heel cup (of sorts) 2) outside heel support & 3) thin sole (shouldn't compress that much)

i used to wear mundials early on for squatting and still do for deadlifting.

http://www.adidas.com/us/apps/skateb...ear.php#G48060

not going to use them for working out just yet but will give them a go and update the post.

For the money why not go with vs athletic, or even powerlift trainers ? Skate shoes are way too squishy for powerlifting

They're $55 online

Many buy chucks, these appear better. Ill find out shortly

Quote Originally Posted by hugenscrawny View Post
    They're $55 online

Many buy chucks, these appear better. Ill find out shortly
    Recently got a new pair of chucks. I was going to do samba's, but found the sole to be way thicker when I tried them on. Don't know if that is the case with these, but they look pretty much exactly the same from the pictures.

Maybe. They claim to have a 'thin' sole to 'better feel the board' (they're mundials updated to be skateboarding shoes)
    Thin compared to most skateboarding shoes wont mean much tho. Could mean compared to mundials

I've tried a lot of makeshift shoes and here's my quick review as a medium wide ish squatter sumo deadlifter. Do note that I have a bias of buying shoes that you could actually wear outside the gym

Chucks - old reliable, cheap, and you could actually wear the all black ones in formal clothes lulz. Drawbacks on deadlifting would be the 1 inch cushion and i found new ones to squish a bit. Although if 1000lb squatters use them why the fuck can't we right? Also, if I were to only wear one shoe in my lifetime it would be chucks.

Sambas- classic...looks good and I could say that they're less squishier than chucks and arguably more stable with the wider base. Although they definitely have about a .5inch effective heel height so you might need some getting used to if you are a flat heeled nazi. Lilliebridge's use superstars which are kinda like sambas but a bit thicker sole. Won't use them for deadlifts though.

Minimalist shoes - first of all fuck five fingers. I find it hard to take anyone wearing them seriously. I am however a fan of the concept. I personally recommend new balance minimus. The only one with a thinner sole would be deadlift slippers but you can't squat in those and you can with these. If you want flat, these are flat. I use them for deadlifting but have squatted in them until I fell in love with my sambas. They aren't bad looking to wear outside either. Jamie lewis rocked these.

Wrestling shoes - haven't tried them but they are like the minimus but with more ankle support. Can't wear them outside though...

Lastly, I'm just waiting for my .5" do wins. I figured these would be a compromise to wearing flats and real lifting shoes. I also stopped being a cheap ass and after watching IPF worlds 99% of squatters wore lifting shoes. Time to ride the bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    Chucks - old reliable, cheap, and you could actually wear the all black ones in formal clothes lulz. Drawbacks on deadlifting would be the 1 inch cushion and i found new ones to squish a bit. Although if 1000lb squatters use them why the fuck can't we right? Also, if I were to only wear one shoe in my lifetime it would be chucks.
    I've actually ripped the insole out of mine. And you are right, its like an inch thick. Not as comfortable walking around, but the only thing separating your foot from the ground is the .0001" rubber sole. I only use them to pull, and they look a hell of a lot better than Deadlift slippers.

I wear Adidas Taekwondo for pulling!
    http://www.dmssportsworld.com/p-5534...-trainers.aspx

starting strength coach development program
    I wear Adidas Taekwondo for pulling!
    http://www.dmssportsworld.com/p-5534...-trainers.aspx

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast