starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check (low and slow)

Default Squat form check (low and slow)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear Couches and fellows,

I need you invaluable advice on form of my heavy-slow (though weak) squats. I send one video with two sets: 5x85 and 3x90 kg @82. I've cut some seconds between reps for convenience but I swear they are two sets. Sorry about the angle.

The story before: a month ago I realized I wasn't going deep enough and tried to fixed it. Then two problems at the knees, mostly right, showed up. After several resets and recorded reps I found that the shoving-in caused medial knee tendinitis and the knee sliding at the bottom of the squat caused a dangerous endo-arthritic pain. I think I managed to fix both as I have no symptoms, in contrary I feel my knees stronger than ever, so here I am to confirm it.

Stay tight on your descent and put your knees out a little more. You relax at the bottom and let your knees come forward and pause for a while. Hit the bottom of the squat and come right back up. Keep your chin down and drive your hips up. You are currently lifting your chin and chest as you ascend.

Thank you, I will employ the advice and post back as soon I come back.

(Please ignore the double post I sent a few days after the first)

Right after a week-off due to holidays, a volume week starts. I send the 3rd set of 12x60kg to check if I managed to follow your advice (stay tight and drive hips up). The weight is low because of the detraining and I didn't want to wait because the thread might close. Is the form at the last three reps degrade a lot?

Comment: I moved my descending-cue from "lower the chest" to "bend at the hips". So, I felt the "HIP-DRIVE" that starts at the very first moment ("hip gets into the car"), continues all the way down ("hip drives under control"), then bounces ("hip turns the car around the square") and ascends naturally ("hip returns back and parks"). Is that correct?

All of my previous comments still apply. Also, I recommend sets of five.