starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: straps

Default straps

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Anyone know where i can find some quality straps for deadlifting? The mixed grip feels weird for me so I want to use straps. Thanks.

In your car. Nobody uses the seatbelts anyway, do they?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    In your car. Nobody uses the seatbelts anyway, do they?
    nope lol

I would just try to get used to mixed grip if you can. The straps are going to limit your grip strength. As for where you can get them, pretty much any normal ones (even from sporting goods stores) are good enough.

Default straps

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I would just try to get used to mixed grip if you can. The straps are going to limit your grip strength. As for where you can get them, pretty much any normal ones (even from sporting goods stores) are good enough.
    Straps will still be needed when he's an intermediate trainee; given power-shrugs are a godly assistance exercise and REQUIRE straps and a belt.
    Seatbelt webbing is great, if you're short of cash. Any 2-2.5 inch webbing should do actually.

But yeah OP, double overhand until your last two sets (final warmup and work-weight) at which point a mixed or hook grip is used for weak sissy hands.
    Have you tried hooking yet? It's *uncomfortable* but this stuff isn't meant to feel like sex-on-acid.
    Last edited by Joe Tandy; 12-26-2013 at 09:12 PM.

I just bought a $10 pair of tow straps. I was able to get three 24" segments from each strap resulting in three pairs of lifting straps. I singed the ends with a lighter so they don't fray, and rubbed them with chalk so they aren't slippery.

I absolutely love these: http://www.amazon.com/Schiek-Wrist-S...ef=pd_sim_sg_1

I do all heavy singles, doubles & triples mixed grip, but for high volume sessions -- which can mean 25 total reps north of 475 -- I always use these straps.

The blue ironmind straps have worked well enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jake272 View Post
    Anyone know where i can find some quality straps for deadlifting? The mixed grip feels weird for me so I want to use straps. Thanks.
    You're selling yourself short if you start using straps to deadlift. And, are you using chalk? Learn to hook and alternate when you need to.

starting strength coach development program
    years ago i bought some straps from IronMind. i believe they were rated for 1,000 lbs. they would get destroyed by the knurl pretty quick, but that was cosmetic mostly - the material from which they were made was quite strong. there may be better or cheaper ones today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast