starting strength gym

Thread: If i think i been mis-loading the bar what % should i deload.

Default If i think i been mis-loading the bar what % should i deload.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I was really weak at the gym. Expecting 380 for 5 based on my recent progressions i couldn't budge it.
    I took 10 pounds off the bar and still couldn't budge it. I went home, ate, rested and returned to the gym. All i could reach when i went back was 345 and that was a heavy single.

Thinking Monday i did 370 for 5 and then today problems makes me think i been miss calculating my weight.

I was going to press my luck and try to get 400x5 by/on new years.

Not only is that no longer a goal I'm questioning my current strength levels and progression.

I'm going to give up on the 400 pound dead lift I'd like to know if you have any advise how to proceed.

Todays log entry.
    Quarter mile walk.
    Squat. 45x5x2, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x5.
    Bench. 45x5x2, 95x5, 135x5, 155x3, 195x3x5.
    Deadlift. 30x5x2, 120x5, 210x3, 300x2, 380x5 -Failed, got zero reps.
    Lets add another set at 335 on Monday and bring all ramp up sets to 5 reps. If we fail again we'll De-load and ramp up again. I went back to the gym after some bacon, 2 glasses of OJ, 5-10 grams of creatine and a coffee.
    At the very least i wanted more dead lift volume and i wanted another crack at a heavy weight.
    Deadlift. 45x5z2, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 325x5, 345x1, 355x1 failed.

Holy shit! A monster!

Hint:
    Deadlift. 45x5z2, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 325x5, 345x1, 355x1 failed.
    I wouldn't dream of adding 10(or even 5) pounds at 370.

Default New Cyle

Quote Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
    I was really weak at the gym. Expecting 380 for 5 based on my recent progressions i couldn't budge it.
    I took 10 pounds off the bar and still couldn't budge it. I went home, ate, rested and returned to the gym. All i could reach when i went back was 345 and that was a heavy single.

Thinking Monday i did 370 for 5 and then today problems makes me think i been miss calculating my weight.

I was going to press my luck and try to get 400x5 by/on new years.

Not only is that no longer a goal I'm questioning my current strength levels and progression.

I'm going to give up on the 400 pound dead lift I'd like to know if you have any advise how to proceed.
    Overreaching

Your Monday training session overtrained you for your Friday session.

This is when you have slightly overtrained. Taking a few days off will allow you to bounce back.

If you Monday turn out like you Friday trainning session, then you need to...

Start A New Periodization Cycle

This allow you to become increase you strength and size.

20% Reduction

Drop you training load from 370 X 5 Reps to 300 X 5 Reps.

Then work you way back UP past 370 X 5 Reps.

Dropping the load down allow you to recover.

Exercise Sequence

Also, to maximize you Deadlift, make it the the first exercise you preform.

This insure you best effort.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited by Kenny Crox; 12-28-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Short story about all this. In approx end of august i was dead lifting 310 for my 5 RM. I choose to squat for September and i didn't lift in october. When i resumed in November i treated myself like a beginner and tried 10 pounds on the dead lift but this time twice a week. I was getting it on Monday and Friday. I went from 270 to 370 like this. A weight i might not have other wise gotten to until May. My plan was to drop the increase to 5 pounds twice a week when i needed to. Maybe that's now. If so, still using May as a reference point Not only am i ahead of the game but with the reduction to 5 pound increases 1-2 times a week I'm looking at 90 - 180 pound on my dead lift. 460 would be the low end goal. 550 isn't really a weight that should materialize but that's what the math works out to.

I added walking. 1/4 to 1/2 mile warm ups. Then once a week I'd endure an entire movie in the gyms theater. 90-120 mins. This week it was 2.2 miles. I'll drop that. I rather the strength then to lean out. My calories aren't being tracked and consumption is way down. I believe i can get back to 10 pound gains twice a week if i drop the walking and increase my calories. I believe I'm below 2500 calories at 225 pounds and most of that is milk shake. Whey, creatine, and bcaa.

The first thing i'll do is rest. How long should i rest for? should my rest be no dead lifting or should it be light. I prefer to do as little as i can, to rest up faster with full intention to attempt 10 pound gains on the dead lift twice a week.

In the past when i tried to dead lift first, i couldn't squat what so ever. I was also lifting wrong and dead lifting 3x5 for my top set.

If i deload as suggested I'm looking at 1 month of reduced training. First I'd like to retry the weight after eating a lot this weekend and supplementing more then i had. Then I'd like a 5 pound increase for Friday if i fail 380 on Monday. (375 friday)

Only getting to 345 for 1 doesn't really surprise me as an hour prior used strength and failed my top work, and worked back up to that same top set and tried 5 times and couldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Crox View Post
    Overreaching

Your Monday training session overtrained you for your Friday session.

This is when you have slightly overtrained. Taking a few days off will allow you to bounce back.

If you Monday turn out like you Friday trainning session, then you need to...

Start A New Periodization Cycle

This allow you to become increase you strength and size.

20% Reduction

Drop you training load from 370 X 5 Reps to 300 X 5 Reps.

Then work you way back UP past 370 X 5 Reps.

Dropping the load down allow you to recover.

Exercise Sequence

Also, to maximize you Deadlift, make it the the first exercise you preform.

This insure you best effort.

Kenny Croxdale

This.

I would go 300->350 using steps of 10, then 5 and see how it goes. No point in stalling.

Well i wanna try the weight again. I'd rather give it two more tries minding my schedule of calories and supplements to give myself the best chance at getting it and moving forward. I'll try with wraps too.

I have to solve the weight lifting belt stomach pinching when i get into position.

I'll try with wraps too.
    Wraps are more of a head things for the deadlift.

Kenny Croxdale

Short story about all this. In approx end of august i was dead lifting 310 for my 5 RM. I choose to squat for September and i didn't lift in october. When i resumed in November i treated myself like a beginner and tried 10 pounds on the dead lift but this time twice a week. I was getting it on Monday and Friday. I went from 270 to 370 like this. A weight i might not have other wise gotten to until May.
    Recovery

The take home message is that by allowing yourself to recovery, you made better progress.

My plan was to drop the increase to 5 pounds twice a week when i needed to. Maybe that's now. If so, still using May as a reference point Not only am i ahead of the game but with the reduction to 5 pound increases 1-2 times a week I'm looking at 90 - 180 pound on my dead lift. 460 would be the low end goal. 550 isn't really a weight that should materialize but that's what the math works out to.
    Recycling

To insure progress, you need to recycles to allow for recovery and move forward.

Continuing is futile. You going to end up going backwards.

I added walking. 1/4 to 1/2 mile warm ups. Then once a week I'd endure an entire movie in the gyms theater. 90-120 mins. This week it was 2.2 miles. I'll drop that. I rather the strength then to lean out. My calories aren't being tracked and consumption is way down. I believe i can get back to 10 pound gains twice a week if i drop the walking and increase my calories. I believe I'm below 2500 calories at 225 pounds and most of that is milk shake. Whey, creatine, and bcaa.
    1/2 Mile Warm Up

That doesn't do much for you.

90-120 Minutes

That nuts. You don't burn enough calories to make much of a difference.

As someone once said, "Abs are made in the kitchen"...DIET!

10 lb Gains Twice A Week

Continuing stay where you are and push it twice a week is NOT going to work.

You are going to end up losing ground.

"I believe..."

That means you are guessing and NOTING comes from that.

Count your caloric intake and KNOW rather than guess.

The first thing i'll do is rest. How long should i rest for? should my rest be no dead lifting or should it be light. I prefer to do as little as i can, to rest up faster with full intention to attempt 10 pound gains on the dead lift twice a week.
    Passive Recovery

This is sitting and watching TV...doing nothing.

Doing "as little as you can" via Passive Recovery means your recovery will take longer.

Active Recovey

This involves some light work that pumps blood into the area.

Circulation

It delivers nutrients to muscles and hauls off the garbage.

In other words, it ENHANCES recovery.

Thus, Active Recovery with something light and easy insure a faster recovery.

Periodization

This involves recycling you lifts, as discussed.

The purpose is to for recovery to insure improved training progress.

In the past when i tried to dead lift first, i couldn't squat what so ever. I was also lifting wrong and dead lifting 3x5 for my top set.
    Deadlifting First

Deadlifting first is going to kill you squat...that is a given.

However, squatting heavy before your deadlift insure that you deadlift is going to be LESS than it could/should be.

Alternative Solutions

1) Squat Light before you Deadlift. Use you squat as a warm up for you deadlift.

However, the squat need to be light, easy and low volume.

2) Separate Deadlift-Squat Days

a) Monday--make it a Squat Day ONLY

b) Thursday--make it a Deadlift Day ONLY

The Deadlift and Squat train the same muscle groups.

Think of the Squat as an auxiliary exercise for the Deadlift and vise versa.

If i deload as suggested I'm looking at 1 month of reduced training. First I'd like to retry the weight after eating a lot this weekend and supplementing more then i had. Then I'd like a 5 pound increase for Friday if i fail 380 on Monday. (375 friday)
    Month of Reduced Training

Yes, that what it amount to.

However, you DON'T recycle you will end up with OVER month of stagnation or regression.

Driving The Wrong Direction

It amount to driving the wrong direction in your car.

You end up having to back track with means you trip take you longer.

The foundation of you training logic is based on that.

Kenny Croxdale

Wraps i meant for grip. I'll continue to walk before i lift, it gets my temperature up and shakes off the cold from being outside in the car and driving to the gym. To get out of the house and walking at the gym will be mentally healthy and that's part of the reason i was willing to buy a membership. I'll take it easy. Walk for a half out before i food shop or something.

Andy called me a program hopper and i felt shitty. I looked back at my training and i was loyal to the SS model. not with out mistake but pain, and circumstance will take a toll.
    I think my problem is going on a program i been trained to use to a program i have to trust now to take over. With that comes goals. When i began SS i did it to practice and complete SS. I wanted the results. Technically i met my entire training goal and am supposed to according me to the last year me, go on maintenance, start conditioning and prepare to fight for 2014. Not to likely right now.

I feel my goals are making me over reach and its clouding my ability to honor the discipline to take madcow for the schedule that it is.

I'm glade i took the strength i did over the last two months. Greedy or not.

This is the change i made to a madcow page i found.
    Monday Squat, bench dead lift.
    Wednesday Squat, press.
    Friday, Squat, bench, dead lift.

-New 5rm by 5 on squat Monday and Friday and new 5rm on dead lift by 10 on Monday and Friday.
    Benching twice a week m and f cause i didn't bench this year much at all and my
    Press on Wednesday once a week cause that is past novice progression and can only go up by 2.5 per week.

One last thing i wanted to add. I expected to go back to the SS model of dead lifts and power cleans alternating. I felts like the dead lift didn't need to be driven by the power clean if i was getting 20 pounds on the dead lift per week.
    Last edited by RichieRich; 12-29-2013 at 02:31 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I went in and had a good workout. Added 5 to my squat, added 5 to my bench and i pulled the ten pound increase 380 for 1, the problem was in my grip strength but i was satisfied with the pull. I learned i didn't miss add weight for 370. I quickly put on wraps and pulled another 3 after the rest pause. Be that 380 for 3 or 380 for 4 I feel really good about it. I'll re lift it for a third time Friday and if i make it use Rips original advise. Take three chances at the weight. If i make it move forward other wise deload. 5 pounds Monday and 5 Friday.