starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another old guy starting and some questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    G1981C I get you on the supplement thing. I'm not gonna do anything that puts me at a supraphysiologic state of anything (anabolics, thyroid, etc). That's well documented bad news and as a physician it wouldn't look good for me to do so.
    I'm also a hobby farmer, fisherman, and hunter so I have 2 full freezers of meats and organ meats. Goat is an under utilized meat. I prefer it to need. Venison is also a better alternative. Our cattle are grass fed only and butcher out at 800-1000# so I don't have to won't them over.
    I really appreciate all the advice folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And FWIW I still struggled a bit with bench today but narrowed my grip and post workout I don't have that bone grinding pain I had last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 63 and perhaps my perspective is a little different regarding age. You've gotten and begun to implement the advice about the bench. Narrower is better.

Supplements: I take fish oil, a blend of MSM, glucosamine, and chondroitin, along with low dosage aspirin and DHEA. All good stuff for geezlings too.

Protein and creatine: You are 5' 8" 200 lbs. and 30% body fat. Maybe working on a regular diet heavy on food protein and skipping the creatine for now might be a better idea. When you have replaced fat weight with muscle weight and gotten stronger and leaner start thinking about that other stuff then. That does mean cutting back on how much you eat. You won't get stronger and build muscle if you don't eat enough to let it grow.

Definite YNFTP on the protein so far. Looks like I'm LBM about 136#. 200-230g protein per day ish. Gonna sit down this evening and crunch some # to figure out how to get there. Thanks again all.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPhilWV View Post
    Definite YNFTP on the protein so far. Looks like I'm LBM about 136#. 200-230g protein per day ish. Gonna sit down this evening and crunch some # to figure out how to get there. Thanks again all.
    i personally think protein intake should be matched with exercise volume / intensity first, and lean body mass second.

perhaps it would be better to try to nail protein as % of calories, rather than grams per LB LBM. this way the more calories you burn the more calories you are allowed to consume, the more protein you end up consuming - as you should.

i would shoot for about 30% calories from protein or something close to that.
    Last edited by G1981C; 12-30-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Definitely check out our resident expert on the care and feeding of weight lifters young and old, Jordan Feigenbaum, in the Nutrition forum.

starting strength coach development program
    Here is the log of our resident geezer doc Mr. Sullivan. Definitely worth a read: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=23519

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12